• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Short Corners

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I Kant see any logical reason for people disliking the initial shortcorner option.
Agreed. It's another option that keeps the opposition guessing.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't know why everyone has such a problem with the short corner
Exeter City v Port Vale, Autoglass Trophy Southern Final, 2nd Leg.

City en route to Wembley on away goals until we took a short corner.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
we do often waste corners - both short and long ....

it should be noted that we are not that big a side so I would like us to mix and match ... they did a nice long corner at yeovil that nearly led to a goal ...

But constant short corners feel like a waste at times especially as we seem to be after a perfect situation of a short ball leading to a triangle move and a ball into the edge of the 6 yard box ...one of these finally came off at Daggers only for Troy to flick over ... it was a nice move but why was troy the only man to anticipate the ball in?

Red Nose

I can't believe this thread is on it's 3rd page and no one has pointed out the obvious advantage of short corners.

Someone please...?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't believe this thread is on it's 3rd page and no one has pointed out the obvious advantage of short corners.

Someone please...?
You don't have to kick the ball very far.
Here to help :)

Forever7

What irks me is that we have Billy Jones and Ryan Harley over the ball for a short corner. The one that Hants put the link to underlines why it irks me... taken short to Ryan, who then crosses with his weaker left foot when Billy is the left footed player! Why not let Billy whip it in straight from the corner and if Troy doesn't head it in, it could get cleared to the edge of the box where I'd like to see Ryan lurking to smack it in the back of the net! Simples.

mammooman

We had a convo on Tues evening stating when was the last time we scored from a corner? As in a cross and header?

wemissmoxey

Short corners should be used wisely to add an extra dimension, in the main I would prefer it if we whipped the ball in direct, Troy nearly scored against Peterborough with a head from a good quality direct corner, Billy Jones can actually take a bloody good corner with lots of whip, pace and accuracy etc.

STURTZ

Short corners are a viable option and I'm, sure that if the percentages were worked out then it would be seen that they had just as much chance of success as "long" corners. Personally I get ****** off when people around me start moaning as soon as we try ome. It has to be practised and played correctly but a ball into the area from a wider angle has to have more chance of finding the net surely.

We used to moan about getting caught from short corners, but, as this thread shows, we aren't interested in trying something other than putting it across the goal for a big bloke to head in.

One of the best goals I've seen at The Park was Billy Jones effort against AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup, took it short (to Carlisle?) ran on and received a return on the edge of the area, GOAL!

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
If there's two mins left and we need a goal, we get it straight in the box from a corner, so this must be viewed as the most likely means of a goal coming from a corner.

Thats both an admission that short corners are less likely to result in a goal and that they are generally useless.