• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sometimes the words….

…are so difficult to find but we have to try.

I’ve posted many times on this forum in banter and to discuss players and games. Tonight is so sad. I enjoyed watching Adam when he was here with us in Hereford. He was everything I wanted to see in a footballer….honest, hardworking and a great team player. I’ve watched him being kicked from pillar to post by big defenders because they couldn’t stop him any other way….it was part of the game he played. I’ve seen him score and I’ve seen him miss but I never saw him cheat. If either of my sons had played the game I would have wanted them to play it the way Adam did.

There are far to few in the game like him.

It’s late. I’ve tried to say what I feel on behalf of us Herefordians.

Our thoughts are with the family I used to see shopping together in Sainsburys.

Be proud…..he was a special player in a game that is full of people who only think they are special.

exile in wales

These words are so so true , a true professional but most of all a true gent as you say the footballing world lacks people of this calibre and Stanno can never be replaced a special place in so many peoples hearts ,
today is such a sad day , carry on we must for the sakes of those around us but Adam will live on with us all for ever.

Excellent post Chris, especially regarding Adam's sense of sometimes frustrating fairplay and honest hard work. It was an absolute privilege to watch Adam playing for Hereford.
Here is a copy of my attempt to find suitable words at this sad time, as posted today on the Hereford Forum.

My first post on BullsBanter since returning from abroad, where I first heard the terrible news and I've spent 17 days trying to put it to the back of my mind albeit without much success.
Apologies now as I'm still struggling to know what to say..

Suffice to say I am totally gutted and my sincere condolences go out to Adam's nearest and dearest. Why does cancer seem to pick on the truly nice people? These last few days I've read the deserved tributes to Adam on several websites & forums. For me and clearly countless others Adam showed all the right things about being the model professional footballer, everyone's perfect team player; and beyond that a truly decent person, everyone's perfect best friend or nextdoor neighbour. It is truly fitting the Grecians have retired the No 9 shirt in his honour, and I wholeheartedly agree that to name some part of our Family Facilities after him would be appropriate too.
A close friend of mine (another F.O.D exile), lives only yards from St James Park and although he prefers & actually teaches the oval football game, he too has been deeply affected by Adam's sad passing which has really affected the local community. He should be at the Funeral Service today to represent his sports-based college and in a small way myself.

I was so worried this might happen, especially after the apparently good news re Adam's "return to training", but having experienced my father and uncle die due to this terrible illness I was still worried for him. If such a things possible maybe a little "good" can come from this, and that's to show to a perhaps naive younger generation that cancer has absolutely no respect for sufferers even those with youth, athletic good heath and a positive mental attitude. If possible please give generously to those charities actively seeking a cure for this killer disease.

God Bless You Lisa and rest in peace.
Archie.

Last edited:

Biffa

Thanks Hereford Fans for such kind words, R I P Adam.