• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Sturrock

Whilst I am no fan of Plymouth, in all seriousness and banter aside, I think Sturrock cuts quite a tragic figure at the moment.

He has been a good manager and that cannot be denied but on results alone if he was anyone else he would have been fired a long time ago.

But he looks ill. The last two times I have seen him interviewed I have found it uncomfortable because he is clearly not well. I know he has Parkinsons??? is it?, and football management being so stressful it cannot be good for him, so sort of a human level, you think, just jack it in, you dont need all this grief.

I hope he goes for his own sake really. I have no love for PAFC and enjoy seeing them struggle but not at the expense of a good bloke who certainly sems to be struggling at the moment. It seems inevitable that he will go pretty soon, so I hope he can go with some dignity and that all those thick Janners who poor such vile abuse at a bloke who turned their club around and got them two promotions are ashamed of themselves. They might still be in League 2 or worse if it had not been for him.

swindon06

i feel sorry for the guy too, hes a great guy and his illness i feel is hindering him somewhat.
maybe his time has now come to an end at argyle

Last edited:

izzer buddy

Have to agree I felt really uncomfortable watching his interview after his defeat today. I thought he looked ill and tired. Difficult job at best being a footie manager let alone coping with an illness as well

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
On a totally non banter serious note I entirely agree.

If he stays he will be sacked at some stage. The man is an Argyle hero so why does it need to come to that? He should just walk for his own sake, his health, that of his family who are presumably dragged into the stressful situation, and the club where he is a legend.

I know some will point to the pay out he will get from being sacked as opposed to walking but I really do not think that is likely to be a factor. I would guess he is well off as it is and he doesn't strike me as being a mercenary in the slightest.

If he resigns then he leaves with some dignity left. I doubt he will get another management job and I doubt he would want one. It's time to retire and look back on his career. Better to end that with a resignation on health grounds than a dismissal.

Grecian Max

Watching the interview with him at Newcastle (last week?) he didn't look well at all.

Argyle are in freefall and it would be shame for him to muddy his reputation. Obviously he is under a lot of pressure and this ain't going to help in anyway. As Phil says, retire. Real shame.

Parkinson's is a fecker of an illness, I know all too well as my Grandad suffered with it for many years before he died.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also on a non-banter note, I agree with what has been said above, he is clearly not well.

angelic upstart

I echo the sentiment, Sturrock really doesn't appear well. It is worth noting that for some time I haven't personally abused him. I think others should perhaps think along those lines too.

I admire what he is doing, as Sturrock is a winner, he will not let his illness get the better of him, despite what many may think of him. The whole scenario reminds me of a small version of Bobby Robson at Newcastle a few years back.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I echo the sentiment, Sturrock really doesn't appear well. It is worth noting that for some time I haven't personally abused him. I think others should perhaps think along those lines too.

I admire what he is doing, as Sturrock is a winner, he will not let his illness get the better of him, despite what many may think of him. The whole scenario reminds me of a small version of Bobby Robson at Newcastle a few years back.
P*ss-taking of a rival teams manager is a little different to 'abuse' is it not? Those who decide to put themselves in the public eye should surely expect it. Most of what I've seen on here has been ribbing about his Nationality and similarity in build and looks to Rab C Nesbitt; nobody has used his illness as the butt of the joke.

STURTZ

Agree with globey if he's fit to manage then he's fit to be critiscised, are we insisting on a full medical before anybody is subject to a bit of banter now?

He still sees himself as manager so surely giving him and bit of slack because of his condition is actually crueler than treating him as a normal (crap) manager.

Grecian_in_Plymouth

his contract is up at the end of the season , so why walk??

good manager for plymouth --pity the way it is going for him.