• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City & Plymouth Argyle rivalry

T

THE INFORMER

is the rivalry between Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle as big as people say?

http://www.nepforums.co.uk/thisisplymouth/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=21773&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

ianaplincorners

THE INFORMER said:
The simple answer is NO, but no doubt you will get people on here saying YES!

The 'rivalry' starts and ends in being us and them being nearest to each other. The fact of the matter is we are CONFERENCE and they are CHAMPIONSHIP, we get 3000, they get 12000. No competition, end of......

haka

A link to an old topic on a dead message board. Why?

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
for me the rivalry went a few seasons ago - remeber we are a non league team they are a Championship side attracting players of the quality of Brevett from West Ham, Anthony Barness from Bolton,Bojan djordjic from Rangers and another lad from Porto cant think of his name currently - there light years ahead of us in footballing terms, and i for one believe there squad could spring a few suprises this season - I HATE SAYING THAT :aggravat:

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have said that the rivalry is nowhere near as bad. That is...until I went to plymuff watching city, and saw that nothing had changed!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The rivalry will always be there. It never just dies. Just because they're 3 leagues ahead at the minute, means nothing. Argyle have had a good run due to their former manger, Paul Sturrock. Sturrock was an excellent manager for them, and they wouldn't be in the Championship if it wasn't for him.

Bobby Williamson, on theother hand, has no-where near the amount of managerial strengths as Sturrock. Yes he's gone and brought in some big name players, from big name clubs. But they all cost money - he must of spent at least £800,000+ while charge of Plymouth. He favours old players, over youth. It *could* be the downfall of PAFC. They've spent a lot, and while I'm not saying they'll go bust, if they don't succeed and get relegated, they'll have to operate on a much tighter budget. While Williamson is in charge, I can't see Argyle going anywhere.

Remember this - if in the possible scenario, that we go up (I believe we will), and the possible scenario that Argyle go down (the Championship is looking stronger than ever this coming season), then we would only be one league behind them. Their "star" players would move on, and within 12 months they aren't so much light-years ahead - they would be in touching distance.

Football goes round in circles. We fell on hard times,while at the same time Plymouth, Yeovil, and to some extent Torquay entered their most successful era ever. Nothing last forever, and you just watch, give it 3/4/5 years and we'll be playing Plymouth and Yeovil in a league match, while Torquay will be a lower half Conefernce side. Argyle will be back to their old gates of 5,000, and suddenly we're back and people will realise the rivalry is as strong as ever.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good posting Grecian Max, anyone that thinks the rivalry has gone, probably never really fully apreciated the rivalry in the 1st place, or at least didn't/don't dislike them as mush as others do.

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
I think the rivalry is still there, but it's not as big to Argyle as it once was at the moment due to them currently being in the Championship. But once we're back at a similar level in the football pyramid, then the rivarly will be even stronger imo......

C

Cliff Bastins Shorts

Top post GRECIAN MAX. :yesyes:

Those that claim no rivalry..... GET REAL FFS :aggravat:

Someone from Exeter who beat someone from Plymouth at Tiddlywinks would be a hero in my book

kuznetsov

I must admit I've always wanted Plymouth do do badly whatever it was. I think I'd have supported the Armada as Drakes ships clearly stank of the green and white. :wink: