FA Cup 2013/14: Match Report Frimley Green v Ash United

There is something special about this Saturday in the football season. While many seem are confused by the idea that the football season has started because the Premier League had started, the rest of the country knew different. So, on to the very first round of the FA Cup, the road to Wembley indeed. The Extra Preliminary round matches teams from the lowest eligible level.

Keeper and defender look on after 1st goal by Ash.

My choice of game was the Surrey Heath derby. 2 Combined Counties League Premier sides, Frimley Green versus Ash United. They’d met on the Tuesday in the league with the honours going to the Frimley side 1-0. The Recreation Ground is tucked away in a housing estate and abuts a park. A number of spectators opting the watch the game from the park, rather than pay the £6 entrance fee.

The game started off really well for Ash United. After a few minutes, Ash United took the lead. Careless passing meant that Ash intercepted the ball, Jourdain Coleman crossed the ball in to the box for a simple tap in for Karl Dallaway.

2nd Ash goal. Great effort by Jordain Coleman.

With their heads up, Ash United went on to score what must be one of the goals of the round. From a quickly taken thrown-in Jourdain Coleman was able to turn and despite the close attention of a number of Frimley Green players was able to unleash a terrific shot that gave Matt Watson in goal no chance.

The game now settled. Frimley Green started to probe a way back in to the game. But with the game now evenly matched neither side carved out many firm chances. The game was played in a good manner, just the few crunching tackles. Frimley Green’s number 11 Jermaine Johnson one of the best players on the pitch, showing good vision and covering much of the pitch.

A well taken free kick brings the score back to 2-1.
A well taken free kick brings the score back to 2-1.

It took until just before half time before Frimley Green got themselves back in the game. A well taken free kick just outside of the box from the number 2, Jason Short made it 2-1. The keeper had no chance of saving it

Half time arrives with Ash leading 2-1 and Frimley Green probably the happier of the 2 teams at that point. Something to play for!

A renewed Frimley Green came out in the 2nd half looking for that equalising goal. It didn’t take long. Within 2 minutes they were on level terms. Good work by Johnson from a throw-in saw the ball drop to Gavin Quintyre who made no mistake with his shot from the edge of the box.

The game then became quiet, with both team exercising caution, not wanting to concede another goal.  A number of substitutions were made by both sides, but goals were hard to come by.46FrimleyGreen_Ash_United

Just as we were thinking that we would be meeting again on Tuesday night up pops young Toby Shepherd in the last minute to score the winner. Some great work out on the wing saw the ball come to Toby Shepherd in the 6 yard box. The simplest of tap-ins and the ball is in the net.

Full time. Frimley Green 3 Ash United 2. Frimley Green will face Cove in the preliminary round. Gallery of pictures below.

You tube highlights of the game cane be found here.



Leave a Reply