• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

You're The Gaffer: Painpot Special.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Right, let's get ahead of ourselves a little. We've won the semi, Matt has stuck to his tried and trusted formula of team made up of mainly squad players, a couple of emerging young uns and a couple first choice regulars, and we're off to Wembley.
It's the first chance of silverware for the club in 30 years, do you...
A) stick with the tried and trusted formula of the campaign and believe in those who gave got us there but maybe risked p!$$ing off some of the star names as Wembley finals don't come around very often and they, like everybody, will want to play.
or
B) go straight in with the first team.
For me, I'd go A unless it's Portsmouth. They are the only team I fear left in the competition and they will turn up with their first team, 40k following and I wouldn't want to see the club embarrassed at Wembley so you'd have to fight fire with fire.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also depends what the league is looking like at the time.

We will only have 5 games left by then including needing to rearrange Cheltenham away, presumably for the last Tuesday of the season (21st April). If we are 12 points clear of 4th then B). If we've had a wobble and still in a dog-fight for a top 3 place then A)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stick with the team that got us there as, after all, they got us there.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Tonight was a stronger side than we have played earlier in the tournament. Matt has said he wants to go as far as possibly but can't risk players if they need a rest which is fair enough.

I think we will be going for this as much as we can afford to, and think the right answer is play the strongest team. We don't have a history of winning things so need to give it our best shot. fingers crossed when we play in the semi and maybe the final that Holmes will be fit to start games and fisher will be available.

Common sense and pessimism says we must have a wobble at some point, but best scenario is we are in the final and almost guaranteed promotion meaning we can afford to play our best team without it being a risk.

haka

Wembley final? Play the best available team.

We're not talking about a dozen games in the Europa League on Thursdays, flying off to Kazakhstan and back. It's one game, on a weekend when (obviously) we would be playing anyway. Players will be disappointed whatever happens, it's the manager's job to handle that.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
As you say running ahead of ourselves much?

But it will surely depend on our league position at the time. Ideally, play the best team consistent with not risking injury to the most important players (currently probably Martin, Atangana and Law?). If possible. bring them on late so they can say they played at Wembley.

I'm sure MT will ( if we get there) handle well telling those who miss out, he seems to have everyone seeing the big picture.

Avening Posse

I'd personally stick with the guys who slogged their guts out to get us there. A happy camp is a fragile thing, and I don't think the league regulars would begrudge their colleagues at all, but I do think it could upset the apple cart if the league team stepped in. Not a good time to spill apples in my view with the league champions goal still in sight

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd personally stick with the guys who slogged their guts out to get us there. A happy camp is a fragile thing, and I don't think the league regulars would begrudge their colleagues at all, but I do think it could upset the apple cart if the league team stepped in. Not a good time to spill apples in my view with the league champions goal still in sight
As others have said the team last night was already different from the team which played in earlier rounds where the likes of Dyer, Dean and Hartridge have all appeared several times.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's partly to handle stuff like this we pay our much-esteemed manager. I'd say he's doing a good job of keeping everyone happy so far and results speak for themselves.

At least he won't play his mates rather than the best team like Tis did at Liverpool. Grrr, even after all this time.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
An opportunity to win a trophy - simple.

Play the first team