• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Any game involving Wigan in the 1980s and 1990s at SJP. Mostly 0-1, or 1-1 and if stood in the cowshed very little sight of the ball as each keeper would launch it high and long down to the other keeper. Hoof ball at it's worse.

CC

Couple spring to mind, both evening games in the cold if I remember rightly. First one in the early 2000s we lost 5-2 at home to Kidderminster, we even took the lead but they absolutely shredded us and it could have been more.
Other one was 5-6 years ago a 0-1 home defeat against a desperately poor Wycombe side. We barely had a shot on target and it was one of those games where you could tell we weren’t going to score after about half an hour.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
My time watching City does not go back as far as many others who have posted on here.

I would go for the cringeworthy defeat at Warringon.

Grecian2K

My time watching City does not go back as far as many others who have posted on here.
Fibber! :p
My spies tell me that you were actually around back when Pincher Pym was our glovesman and Boy Bastin was banging 'em in for fun....and even dear old Pate was still only just approaching middle age!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
6-1 at home to Chesterfield.

elginCity

Couple spring to mind, both evening games in the cold if I remember rightly. First one in the early 2000s we lost 5-2 at home to Kidderminster, we even took the lead but they absolutely shredded us and it could have been more......
Oh jeez, yes, the ‘crowd’ was a paltry 1,600 or so IIRC, you could hear a pin drop. Another dire show in a freezer.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
One seemingly random match sticks in the mind. Easter Monday 2013.

It was the season after we’d been relegated from League 1 and we’d been going ok and were solidly in the playoffs with a decent shout for going straight back up. On Easter Saturday we lost at Gnome Park 1-0 and then welcomed mid-table Rochdale to the Park on a freezing cold, grey, foggy afternoon more like early January than early April.

We were absolutely awful from the getgo but took the lead on the stroke of half time with a typical Curo finish from virtually our only shot all afternoon. We then sat even further back and as the crowd sat/stood in frozen silence inevitably Rochdale scored with a few minutes left to equalise and then nicked the points with virtually the last kick.
We then fell apart for the rest of the season, taking one more point from the remaining 5 games and collapsed to finish 10th, 5 points out the play-offs.

The worst game of football I can remember involving City was that 0-0 at Forest Green in the FA Cup many moons ago, live on the BBC when Lawro gave the City fans both fingers.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couple spring to mind, both evening games in the cold if I remember rightly. First one in the early 2000s we lost 5-2 at home to Kidderminster, we even took the lead but they absolutely shredded us and it could have been more.
Bo Henriksen was on fire that night, banging them in from all angles.

Grecian2K

My VERY FIRST EVER City game was in 1961 when my grandad took the (then) 6 year old G2k for his first ever taste of football at SJP.
We got hammered 1-5 by Doncaster Rovers. A perfect foretaste for a lifetime of (mainly) disappointment.
The pain of that introduction still slightly lingers after all these years - although, nowadays, slightly ameliorated nowadays by Deano's fantastic lob against the same side 43 years later!

Spoonz Red E

One seemingly random match sticks in the mind. Easter Monday 2013.

It was the season after we’d been relegated from League 1 and we’d been going ok and were solidly in the playoffs with a decent shout for going straight back up. On Easter Saturday we lost at Gnome Park 1-0 and then welcomed mid-table Rochdale to the Park on a freezing cold, grey, foggy afternoon more like early January than early April.

We were absolutely awful from the getgo but took the lead on the stroke of half time with a typical Curo finish from virtually our only shot all afternoon. We then sat even further back and as the crowd sat/stood in frozen silence inevitably Rochdale scored with a few minutes left to equalise and then nicked the points with virtually the last kick.
We then fell apart for the rest of the season, taking one more point from the remaining 5 games and collapsed to finish 10th, 5 points out the play-offs.

The worst game of football I can remember involving City was that 0-0 at Forest Green in the FA Cup many moons ago, live on the BBC when Lawro gave the City fans both fingers.
I remember Lawrenson being asked at half time which team he'd predict going through to the next round. He answered 'To be honest, I hope neither of them do'.