• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will the people of Exeter turn up

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
We had a season in the 60's with average attendances higher than those of today as the population of the city must have grown a fair bit since then.
I wonder what the ticket price/average wage equation was in the 60s compared to now. I'd wager that ticket prices are proportionally higher nowadays.

Grecian2K

I'd agree about that Lionel.

Grecian2K

I'd agree about that Lionel. Having reminisced and researched further...

Forget the RPI and the CPI. I've always worked on the (original) BPI - (Beer and Petrol Index).

As I turned 18 (well, ok, 17) in 1971 as far as I can recall the price of a pint was around 2/6 (or 12.5p in that newfangled decimal money). While a gallon of juice for my newly acquired BSA 250 was around 3/6 (or 17.5p). IIRC admission to the BB was about 5s (25p).
So the cost per pint ratio of thinking juice (CPP) was about 2:1 or price per gallon of motor juice (CPG) was roughly 1.75:1.

Curently, with the BB at £18, the "average" pint at (say) £3.50 and gallon of unleaded at at about £6 the CPP is now about 5:1 and the CPG is about 3:1.

So, by any measure the real cost of our football does seem to have been increased in a relatively inflation-busting way.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd agree about that Lionel. Having reminisced and researched further...

Forget the RPI and the CPI. I've always worked on the (original) BPI - (Beer and Petrol Index).

As I turned 18 (well, ok, 17) in 1971 as far as I can recall the price of a pint was around 2/6 (or 12.5p in that newfangled decimal money). While a gallon of juice for my newly acquired BSA 250 was around 3/6 (or 17.5p). IIRC admission to the BB was about 5s (25p).
So the cost per pint ratio of thinking juice (CPP) was about 2:1 or price per gallon of motor juice (CPG) was roughly 1.75:1.

Curently, with the BB at £18, the "average" pint at (say) £3.50 and gallon of unleaded at at about £6 the CPP is now about 5:1 and the CPG is about 3:1.

So, by any measure the real cost of our football does seem to have been increased in a relatively inflation-busting way.
Afraid you are mis-remembering re petrol, which was 6/6 to 6/8 a gallon in 1970 just before decimalisation, 35p just after when I bought my first scooter (a Capri, RIP).

Beer was 12 a pint in Whitbread pubs and 10p in Devenish ones (11p at the University) in October 1971, a penny or tuppence more in the saloon bar.

I cannot remember how much I paid at SJP in the early 70s as a student, my failing memory says 20P but I don't recall we got in cheap. Anyone know the actual admission prices? Are they in programmes from that date?

Manchester United's prices for the old 1st division are here: cheapest terraces 4/- or 20p in the mdi 60s, 30p just after decimalisation, ours would have been lower, presumably?

Grecian2K

Ah JW. Fair comment but was that "extra"cost down to those squirts of "two-stroke oil" into the tank of your "Mod Rod" back them (although, to be fair, given the propensity of the old 4-stroke "proper bikes" to leak oil as quickly as our Cornish "friends" currently leak points I'll allow you the added costs of separate lubrication)

Glad we agree on the subject of beerage costs though (the MOST essential form of lubrication I'm sure we all agree!!)

Exehausted

Afraid you are mis-remembering re petrol, which was 6/6 to 6/8 a gallon in 1970 just before decimalisation, 35p just after when I bought my first scooter (a Capri, RIP).

Beer was 12 a pint in Whitbread pubs and 10p in Devenish ones (11p at the University) in October 1971, a penny or tuppence more in the saloon bar.

I cannot remember how much I paid at SJP in the early 70s as a student, my failing memory says 20P but I don't recall we got in cheap. Anyone know the actual admission prices? Are they in programmes from that date?

Manchester United's prices for the old 1st division are here: cheapest terraces 4/- or 20p in the mdi 60s, 30p just after decimalisation, ours would have been lower, presumably?

When I left Exmouth at the start of the 74/75 season to go and work in London, I'm sure the cost of getting into the Cowshed was 40p. To try and raise extra funds the club introduced a Golden Gate (does anyone else remember that?) so that you could beat the queues (I don't ever remember long queues) and that cost 50p, an extra 25%! I don't remember seeing anyone go through it. I got into all the First Division clubs in London for 40p to stand. I'm sure that at the time all clubs in the League had to offer at least one section at that price. Seat prices were a lot more at these clubs than at City, if you could get one.

ryancooper327

Sharing this again that I knocked up a while ago. 19/20 is an average of the three home league games this season.Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 20.43.53.png

A Slacker

It also depends partly on the league position of the opposition. If they are doing badly, fewer casual fans seem to bother.

I'm expecting attendance similar to last time, not a bumper crowd, on Saturday despite our being top. Orient took 326 to Mansfield and may bring a like number to our game.
They took 650 to Salford. I think a figure higher than that is possible.

Oldsmobile-88

Sharing this again that I knocked up a while ago. 19/20 is an average of the three home league games this season.View attachment 1197
Interesting...As you have the numbers at hand,what is the median crowd figure for the period on the graph ?

A guess would be about 3,800-4,000

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest, I don't think we'll get crowds of 5000 until Easter time onwards, and only if we are competing near the top. In 1989-1990 we had a great team and a fantastic home record, but we didn't get crowds of 5k + until near the end, and at that time there was no Chiefs and less alternative entertainment.
For City 4.5k is a very good crowd at this stage imo.
Agreed.