• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When was the last time we were top of the table?

Copernicus

Just checked Statto.com.....

Since the 89-90 season:

97-98 games 4-5-6 & 13 we were top of what is now L2

99-2000 Games 4-5-6 ditto

05-06 games 2-3-4-5 7-8-9 & 17 we were top of the Conference.

07-08 the first 4 games we were top of the Conference.

Thats more times than I rember, but it is all early season :S

tonykellowfan

Grays had a host of very good players then though who are all playing at much higher levels now.

Wellyred

Yeah, and we beat you 2-1 at BP on the last day of the season to clinch that 3rd promotion place. If Shaun Taylor's late header had gone in rather than hitting the post then we would have missed out and Bolton would have gone up instead.
Bloody hell I remember that moment..your place was packed and you all came over to our tiny away end..couldn't help but think it wouldn't have been so friendly if that had gone in!!!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
1989/90 season when you beat us to the Old 4th Division title. :D
Still bitter after all these years.:)

les.gtfc

Bloody hell I remember that moment..your place was packed and you all came over to our tiny away end..couldn't help but think it wouldn't have been so friendly if that had gone in!!!
I think there was about 17000 packed into BP that day. We were cruising at half-time 2-0 up but then Mark Cooper scored a 35-yard screamer and we were hanging on at the end. The moment when Taylor headed that ball goalwards was one of those moments where time seemed to stand still. I remember the pitch invasion at the final whistle too and a section of our fans running over to the away corner. I was a bit worried there might have been trouble but the away fans were just applauded.

As you say though, it might have been different had that header gone in.

andrew p long

and when was the last time we won by four goals away from home in the League? I can't recall one.

(Elsewhere people have pointed to the 5-1 win at Stafford and the 4-0 win at Nuneaton (deano in the crowd? FACup?) But these were both against Conference sides.Pleasingly I was at both of those).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes, the 5-1 at Stafford was the last time we won by 4 goals away in a league game - I was racking my brain trying to think of that the other day. Stafford may have been Conference but so were we!

Re: top of the league - yes, 07/08 was last. Then we went to Kidderminster, lost 4-0 (somehow) and a couple of idiots started chanting "Tisdale out!" when the third went in.

Grecian_Jay

Ah yes, the 5-1 at Stafford was the last time we won by 4 goals away in a league game - I was racking my brain trying to think of that the other day. Stafford may have been Conference but so were we!

Re: top of the league - yes, 07/08 was last. Then we went to Kidderminster, lost 4-0 (somehow) and a couple of idiots started chanting "Tisdale out!" when the third went in.
Leave me and WMM alone!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I was about to add "rumours that they answered to the names Jay and WMM (I was going to use Clive instead) are unfounded".

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Ah yes, the 5-1 at Stafford was the last time we won by 4 goals away in a league game
I'll never forget being at that game and someone stood against the fence that surrounded the pitch did nothing but abuse the team and Tisdale for the entire game, as we won at a canter...............unbelievable.