• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see there is a new Last Kingdom book out in October. Sword of Kings.
Yes , he does seem to bring one out just before Christmas each year , it will be hardback of course.As we said before , it surely must be reaching the end , Uhtred must be over sixty now. Great series.

Rosencrantz

Yes , he does seem to bring one out just before Christmas each year , it will be hardback of course.As we said before , it surely must be reaching the end , Uhtred must be over sixty now. Great series.
Just finished reading War of the Wolf. I should imagine that he can only get two more books out for this series before the natural conclusion happens or it could be that it will be the last.

StroudGrecian

Earthman, Come Home - the third in James Blish's excellent Cities in Flight quartet.

Love 1950s sci-fi me.

Banksy

Earthman, Come Home - the third in James Blish's excellent Cities in Flight quartet.

Love 1950s sci-fi me.
Me too. Grew up with Asimov , Poul Anderson , Clifford Simak and the rest.Started off with the Martian series by Edgar Rice Burroughs in the very early fifties.

Banksy

Just finished reading War of the Wolf. I should imagine that he can only get two more books out for this series before the natural conclusion happens or it could be that it will be the last.
His character will be around 67 in the next book. Getting a bit old to stand in the shield wall so it must come to a conclusion soon I guess.

edindevon

The Places in Between by Rory Stewart, chronicling his extremely dangerous walk through central Afghanistan in early 2002.

I wish he'd made a career in travel writing, rather than attempting to become Prime Minister. Such a waste.

Colesman Ballz

The Places in Between by Rory Stewart, chronicling his extremely dangerous walk through central Afghanistan in early 2002.

Or perhaps getting lost along his way ?

geoffwp

Just finished re-reading 'Blue Highways' by William Least Heat Moon. Had it years ago, lent it, forgot who too and they forgot it was mine! A great travel story of the author's circular journey on America's minor roads and the people he meets.

les.gtfc

We Go Again (The story of a season in 119 matches).

Author is Tim Cooper, it's his first published book. He's an Aldershot fan and groundhopper and tells the story of the 2018/19 season and the games he went to.

Only just started reading it but so far it's been a decent read.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Peninsular War (1807 - 1814) Michael Glover

After Trafalgar, Bonaparte was not only short of ships of the line of ships but was determined to continue with his 'Continental System' that was designed to stop Great Britain from trading with Europe and thus bring us to our knees. The 2 countries that were to defy the Emperor were Russia and Portugal. The Emperor's Russian adventure was a fiasco that brought about the destruction of "La Grande Armee" and caused de Talleyrand to remark; "It is the beginning of the end."

The Peninsular war helped knobble Bonaparte because it tied down upwards of 300,000 soldiers badly needed on other fronts. Wellington's aim as C in C of the British Army in Portugal was obviously to beat the French and thereby safeguard British interests by keeping the large Portuguese fleet of warships/transports out of French hands. The army of Portugal was at that time was pretty indifferent but with British training later performed exceptionally well. The few Spanish units under his command fought with various degrees of success. Wellington defeated every Marshal of the Empire that Napoleon sent against him.