• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
No spoilers from me I'm afraid. The yarn about Fergie's refusal to sell Heinze to Liverpool is a good one though.

All I'd say is read this book.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Peter Ustinov's Dear Me is a fun read.
Just noticed this. I read this book years ago but remember little other than he was splitting duties between being David Niven's batman and writing film scripts while shacked up in a top London hotel. There was something about him being short of money and having to sell a valuable painting which he later saw on someones wall back in Hollywood. :)

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just noticed this. I read this book years ago but remember little other than he was splitting duties between being David Niven's batman and writing film scripts while shacked up in a top London hotel. There was something about him being short of money and having to sell a valuable painting which he later saw on someones wall back in Hollywood. :)
I found it again and will re-read after finishing my latest book.

Grecian2K

After all these years, have just made a start on War & Peace.
(Well, given my already advanced age, I thought I'd better give it a go while there is (hopefully) still time.)

Colesman Ballz

After all these years, have just made a start on War & Peace.
(Well, given my already advanced age, I thought I'd better give it a go while there is (hopefully) still time.)
In my college days in Brighton, flushed with the exuberance of youth, I steadfastly sat through the uncut film version, which I seem to recall was in a number of tediously long parts shown over consecutive days. That was enough for me so I never bothered with the book ! Good luck !

Around the same time I ventured to another cinema for a late night showing of "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch". The staff obviously wanted to get home early and turned on the house lights and faded out the credits as soon as they started rolling. This irked me somewhat but my vociferous complaints were just shrugged aside, grrr ! That inspired me to go out and buy the book and several other Solzehnitsyn tomes

Steve H

Salad Daze - The autobiography of Wayne Hussey covering his career up to quitting Sisters of Mercy

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
In my college days in Brighton, flushed with the exuberance of youth, I steadfastly sat through the uncut film version, which I seem to recall was in a number of tediously long parts shown over consecutive days. That was enough for me so I never bothered with the book ! Good luck !

Around the same time I ventured to another cinema for a late night showing of "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch". The staff obviously wanted to get home early and turned on the house lights and faded out the credits as soon as they started rolling. This irked me somewhat but my vociferous complaints were just shrugged aside, grrr ! That inspired me to go out and buy the book and several other Solzehnitsyn tomes
I found Ivan Denisovitch a fascinating read and was sure I could actually feel how cold and hungry the poor bugger was. Great book.

Colesman Ballz

Tom Courtney was excellent in the film adaptation, and Christ it was bleak !

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Waterloo ~ Napoleon's Last Gamble. by Andrew Roberts

Having done the battlefield tour some years ago and have my musket ball/canister shot safely in my glass cabinet, I picket this latest book (I think), from a Swindon charity shop for the princely some of 30pence.

Leading up to the battle the author mentions Bonaparte's disastrous invasion of Russia and the somewhat pyrrhic victory at Borodino (Borisdino?) where both armies suffered severe casualties - the retreating French suffered further from the weather and Cossack attacks as they headed homewards.

Interestingly, one of the main reasons Napoleon attacked Russia was his "Continental Blockade" whereby he hoped to boost the French economy and bring Britain to its knees by a trade embargo that prevented Britain from trading with mainland Europe. Russia was having non of this and British ships continued to unload at St Petersburg which caused Bonaparte to lose his rag.

I guess that Marshal Barnier must be checking history books for pointers ;)

Banksy

About ten years ago I was part of a coach party set to do a tour of Waterloo Stuffy but there was an accident pileup and diversion in the area so all we got was half an hour in the place ,
Never did get back there again sadly.