• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Rosie Effect - Graeme Simsion - not read it all yet but really rather good :)

StroudGrecian

I Quit Sugar - Sarah Wilson

The must-have cookbook for the health conscious in 2016

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I Quit Sugar - Sarah Wilson

The must-have cookbook for the health conscious in 2016
Health conscious - or is the waistline starting to expand? ;)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Silver Locomotive Mystery - Edward Marston

Another case for 'The Railway Detective' to solve.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
A Song For The Dying - Stuart MacBride

StroudGrecian

12 Years a Slave - Solomon Northup

iscalad

Martin Turner's autobiography "No Easy Road - my life and times with Wishbone Ash and beyond".

Particularly enjoying the stories of the early days in and around Exeter as the Empty Vessels. His retelling of the story of the legendary gig at the Exeter Civic Hall (now W H Smiths), on the 19th December 1968, is a particular favourite. The Empty Vessels opened the bill. They were followed by the Social Deviants who got into a fight with the audience several of whom chased them off stage and back into the dressing rooms ! When the bouncers restored order, the evening was finished off by a then brand new band - Led Zeppelin ! So new in fact that the posters advertised them as "Lead Zeppelin, ex Yardbirds"! Would be worth a few quid now if anyone still has a copy ?
Got this from my son for Christmas and have just got around to reading it. As you say, I enjoyed the stories of the early years the best.

Colesman Ballz

Got this from my son for Christmas and have just got around to reading it. As you say, I enjoyed the stories of the early years the best.
Glad that you enjoyed it Isca.

I am just re-reading "Barefoot in Babylon" by Robert Stephen Spitz, which is a fascinating account of all the twists and turns of the staging of Woodstock in 1969, from the initial idea, through all the trials and tribulations, right up to the event itself.

Does anyone know of a similar tome on the 1969 Isle of Wight Festival ? I have seen a few stories about it from time to time, which whet the appetite nicely ! In particular it was nice for those of us that went, to finally learn why Bob Dylan was so bloody late on stage on the final night. It seems that the rumour backstage was that the organisers were running out of money, and so dear Bob wouldn't go onstage until he had been paid in full in cash. The compere went to Bob's caravan only to find the great man himself, sat on the floor with his manager, surrounded by piles of cash, frantically counting out wads of ten bob notes and suchlike ! And then the gobsh@@e walked off stage half way through his set ! (facepalm)

Colesman Ballz

Does anyone know of a similar tome on the 1969 Isle of Wight Festival ? I have seen a few stories about it from time to time, which whet the appetite nicely ! In particular it was nice for those of us that went, to finally learn why Bob Dylan was so bloody late on stage on the final night. It seems that the rumour backstage was that the organisers were running out of money, and so dear Bob wouldn't go onstage until he had been paid in full in cash. The compere went to Bob's caravan only to find the great man himself, sat on the floor with his manager, surrounded by piles of cash, frantically counting out wads of ten bob notes and suchlike ! And then the gobsh@@e walked off stage half way through his set ! (facepalm)
Just answered my own question ! It seems a book came out last June entitled "Stealing Dylan From Woodstock" written by Ray Foulk (and Caroline Foulk). Now Ray was one of the organisers, and his version of why Dylan was two hours late on stage was that it was "due to technical difficulties back stage", and that the sudden departure from the stage was due to the contract being for a one hour performance ! Hmmm ! ;)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shattered Icon - Bill Napier