• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC England - Overrated?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bearing in mind the subject matter, should this not be renamed "The Feckin' Dier Thread"?

IndoMike

Unfortunately only few ever reach the outer limits of the non- City related Exeweb universe. It's not called the graveyard site for nothing.

IndoMike

Bearing in mind the subject matter, should this not be renamed "The Feckin' Dier Thread"?
I wouldn't say England is "feckin' dire", just not as good as the current euphoria would indicate.

IndoMike

I am sure there have been worse over the years.
Over the days, I would say. Are you dressed up in your Union Jack trousers, jacket and top hat, Alistair?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sterling work G2k.

IndoMike

An opinion that it appears few share. Make sure you police your microscope in time to analyse Thursday’s game.
Not sure how that game will pan out. Martinez hints that he's going to rest players: don't know if we should.

IndoMike

Sterling work G2k.
You mean "Sterling doesn't work" as in "doesn't function".

IndoMike

An opinion that it appears few share. Make sure you police your microscope in time to analyse Thursday’s game.
Will be at the pub with various expat degenerates on Thursday night - analysis might prove tricky.

IndoMike

I don't think you're saying much there that most don't already realise as individuals but I think the total is greater than the sum of it's parts and we will be able to take on the rest of world with confidence. Will we beat the better sides? Let's see what happens on Thursday against Belgium and we will have a better idea.
But going to your inividual musings, Loftus-Cheek is one for the future. He does have the capability just lacks the experience and is on huge learning curve playing in the World Cup. I didn't think he was as good yesterday as he was against Tunisia. I have to agree about Show Pony Sterling in front of Rashford, most definitely a screaming 'WHY???????'. Vardy however had 25-30 minutes against a beaten team yesterday and barely had a touch in the box. He simply isn't an international striker. His game isn't suited to it. Why are you worrying about Linngard or Loftus Cheek beating the keeper in a one on one situation. They generally won't get that far forward. Linngard showed what he needs to do by breaking from deeper areas and firing in from the edge of the box yesterday.
You say we won't beat Senegal and then call us naïve. Do you watch any of the African/Asian sides? Despite having players like Mane/Kagawa (just two top class players off the top of my head from either region) the squads still as naïve as five year old on his first day at school in general terms across the squad. Moreover, have you seen the Germans? The Argentinians? The Brazilians? Three of the biggest nations in the competition and they are struggling to get out their respective groups. The Germans and Brazilians are in better positions due in no small part to very, very late goals and the Argentinians are still in with a shout because Iceland got done over by Nigeria. And you think we've got problems????
I don't agree about Vardy. When he came on the game was won and we were quite content to just pass the ball around. There wasn't much he could do.

Colesman Ballz

Sterling work G2k.
And managed to slip past Indo's defence, easier than Panama got through England's for their consolation to boot ! (clap)