• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Watching City away from the 'home' stands

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There were about 30 Port Vale fans in front of me on the Big Bank when we were in the JPT southern final all those years ago. Then they started singing, then it got a bit messy.
Probably the same crew that kicked off in The Printers Pie pre match.

les.gtfc

I've only ever done it the once following Grimsby.

Away at Crewe on a Tuesday night about 20 odd years ago. It was chucking it down and with the away end uncovered then me and my mate went in their Main Stand.

We were 2-0 up after 5 minutes and were obviously sussed out by the home fans by the time the 2nd went in. We ended up drawing the game 2 all and we got out alive okay.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of all the places to do it, a friend and I did it at the Old Den, when we played Millwall in a FA Cup 2nd round tie. Of course when we scored the only goal of the game we leapt to our feet, before sitting back down again even quicker !

les.gtfc

Of all the places to do it, a friend and I did it at the Old Den, when we played Millwall in a FA Cup 2nd round tie. Of course when we scored the only goal of the game we leapt to our feet, before sitting back down again even quicker !
You've just reminded me. I did it at The Old Den too. My brother used to work with a couple of Millwall fans so when we played them they came up here and we took them to the game in the home end. When we played there they took my brother and me in their home side stand.

We scored after about 20 seconds, first Millwall player to touch the ball was their keeper picking it out the back of the net. I was just about to jump up to celebrate when I remembered where we were. We went on to lose the game 2-1 with Jamie Moralee getting a last minute winner for them.

CityTillIDie

Is this less common in the BB at SJP or is it just because everyone is standing so hard to pick out opposition fans? I cant say I can remember ever coming across it, although I remember opposition fans being allocated the end of the BB on a couple of occasions!

GJW

Is this less common in the BB at SJP or is it just because everyone is standing so hard to pick out opposition fans? I cant say I can remember ever coming across it, although I remember opposition fans being allocated the end of the BB on a couple of occasions!
Like Plymouth. I remember City and Argyle shared the BB on one occasion. Not the smartest idea at the time. Certainly wouldn’t attempt it now.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Like Plymouth. I remember City and Argyle shared the BB on one occasion. Not the smartest idea at the time. Certainly wouldn’t attempt it now.
Interesting times. Thin blue line between us, had to keep your wits about you.

Bathgrecian

I've done it twice.

Once at Gay Meadow in about 1990 when I was yet to become a Grecian. The away turnout was impressive that day and I remember the massive Union Jack Flag with Exeter written across it, City went two-nill up and were then pegged back. That was one of my favourite grounds to watch football at

I was also in the main home stand at my least favourite ground to watch football at, the Mem in Bristol. I got given a ticket by a steward because the post had failed to deliver my actual ticket. It was in the days of being allowed to smoke in the stands so not only did I really annoy everyone by puffing away (I've quit now and can't believe such things were ever allowed) whilst we hung onto the lead given to us by one of the best goals Flaky ever scored but also that we nicked the win. At the end of the game the bloke next to me shook my hand and said how well I had done to keep quiet all the way through the game and wished me luck for the rest of the season. It didn't work- we drew Argyle and what followed was one of the worst nights of my City supporting career. I would not have wanted to be in the home end that night at home park.

LeedsGrecian

Done this once, 02/03 FA Cup tie at Charlton.

Was only 8 at the time and my Dad was unable to get us tickets in the away end, so we were amongst the home fans.

Even at that young age I realised that would be the first and last time

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watched from the Cardiff home end when City went there on a Tuesday night in the 1990's. Got thrashed (as we usually did on the road) so wasn't too much of a problem.