• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Watching City away from the 'home' stands

mustangspeed2006

Back in the Conference days, some of the grounds didn't have segregation. While technically there is no "home end", it did feel slightly weird when the opposition scored and people around me cheered. One example was at the Kingfield Stadium in Woking where we lost 0-1 in 03/04.

LeedsGrecian

Back in the Conference days, some of the grounds didn't have segregation. While technically there is no "home end", it did feel slightly weird when the opposition scored and people around me cheered. One example was at the Kingfield Stadium in Woking where we lost 0-1 in 03/04.
This was the case away at Leigh RMI in 03/04 , except it was a 1-1 with a certain Andy Roscoe appearing for Leigh

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've done a couple already mentioned, Millwall during that Cup run and Colchester (I'm presuming you're on about the Friday night 2-0 win with goals from Dean Edwards and David Batty). I'm sure we (Dad and I) watched us get tanked at Northampton 4-0 when they walked Division 4 with Benjamin and Hill up front in the home end. I've also got a notion I saw us get knocked out of the FA Cup 2-0 at Cambridge in the home main stand. The Cambridge fans were a bit annoyed they were playing us as they should have been playing Spurs in the League Cup but the FA Cup took priority.

Red Devon

Done this once, 02/03 FA Cup tie at Charlton.
Love going to the Valley one of my fav away days, I was in the away end with the City fans that day it was probably the highlight of a thoroughly miserable season despite the result....the 3:1 victory in 2011 is definitely up there with one of my best away games ever!

andrew p long

Winning away 3-1 at WBA in the League Cup in 73. Arriving later than intended we got in on the side of the ground rather than with the City fans ( behind the goal?) Less segregation then and it didn’t seem problematic being in among diverse fans (it would have been different in the Birmingham Road end!)

Oldsmobile-88

Winning away 3-1 at WBA in the League Cup in 73. Arriving later than intended we got in on the side of the ground rather than with the City fans ( behind the goal?) Less segregation then and it didn’t seem problematic being in among diverse fans (it would have been different in the Birmingham Road end!)
Looked through the E & E archive of that game recently.I remember hearing the score on the late news that evening.A amazing result against a good team in the days when the first XI always were picked for that competition.

Did you go to Molineux for the 4th round game ? A early KO because of the energy crisis.

andrew p long

Looked through the E & E archive of that game recently.I remember hearing the score on the late news that evening.A amazing result against a good team in the days when the first XI always were picked for that competition.

Did you go to Molineux for the 4th round game ? A early KO because of the energy crisis.
No, had just started uni and couldn’t make it (just as well in view of the shoreline)

Twas indeed a very good performance that night with IIRC Davie Gibson pulling the strings and Fred Binney getting a brace, one of which was a really special finish after a mazy run. Of course I was full of it.....up until the home Cup defeat to Alvechurch.

Oldsmobile-88

No, had just started uni and couldn’t make it (just as well in view of the shoreline)

Twas indeed a very good performance that night with IIRC Davie Gibson pulling the strings and Fred Binney getting a brace, one of which was a really special finish after a mazy run. Of course I was full of it.....up until the home Cup defeat to Alvechurch.
Fred Binney was injured for the Wolves game,really up against it with our talisman not playing at Molineux.

iscalad

Blimey, that brings back memories. Me and my mates decided to go up that morning. Great result

Exehausted

I went to both games and the WBA one is still my favourite away game, even topping the 3-0 tanking of Argyle in the early 90's. I was working for the play-off win against Torquay. We got chased all the way from the ground to the railway station after the WBA game. I was only 17 at the time and very cautious after the Wolves game, expecting us to get jumped on and we were. Because of the early kick off it was still light when we came out of the ground and it was much easier to spot the hot spots.Without looking it up I think we only lost 2-0 against the Wanderers. We were up against it without Fred Binney and we never really looked like scoring.