• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wage structure

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatever the budget is, its not enough to get us out of this division, and thats with the recent cash windfalls. A few seasons of no major sales and we could find ourselves back in the Conference.

We might get between 1m to 2m from any future Watkins sale, and a few more quid drip fed from Chelsea, but as we all know our current business model isn't sustainable longer term if we want to progress.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't the coaching and support staff also come out of this "playing" budget?
And presumably employers national insurance at 13.8%? And agents fees. And loan players, who have grown the squad size to 30 rather than 25 in recent years. Add all these together and the total actually paid to individual players seems like it will be lots less than the OP suggests.

Boyo

The lad that Salford recently signed was apparently on £12k / week (£624k / year) at Brighton.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't the coaching and support staff also come out of this "playing" budget?
No the players' wages budget (called P1) doesn't include the manager, coaches and backup staff who are part of the larger P2 budget. P1 has to be reported to the EFL twice a year but not, I think, P2.

I'm not in the loop any more but IIRC the baseline for P1 was / is £1.08M but this has been augmented for the current and next few seasons from the transfer income, by around £0.5M p.a. (and maybe a bit more since then to offer enhanced contracts to key players?).

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Likewise, I am no longer in the loop, but certainly Tis used to work on a (four?) banded structure, with the lowest tier obviously being the first year pros graduating from the academy.

Temporarily Exiled

Whatever the budget is, its not enough to get us out of this division, and thats with the recent cash windfalls. A few seasons of no major sales and we could find ourselves back in the Conference.

We might get between 1m to 2m from any future Watkins sale, and a few more quid drip fed from Chelsea, but as we all know our current business model isn't sustainable longer term if we want to progress.
Accrington comfortably made it out of our division on a lower budget, and Newport were a couple minutes away from doing so this season. It's tough, but definitely not impossible.

Boyo

If our 10th highest paid player is on 1.5k a week we need to start getting far better value !
Thinking about the sqaud last season, would you be surprised if any of the following were not earning £1.5k / week?

1. Pym
2. A Martin
3. Brown
4. Moxey
5. Holmes
6. L Martin
7. Law
8. Boateng
9. Taylor
10. Stockley
11. Forte

They are all established first team / senior players who I would expect to be earning £1,500+ / week.

budegrecian

You can also add the players that came in, in January to that list; Bowman & Williams. I'd also suggest, although I have no knowledge, that Sweeney & Woodman would't be far off that figure either, considering their seniority & games played. Even though I would guess FB's command less wages than other positions, but if Deanno is on £3k, as reported, it's not hard to see them getting at least half of that figure.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So we pay a transfer fee for Noah from Gloucester, then that would be a chunk out of the wage bill.

Red Bill

And presumably employers national insurance at 13.8%? And agents fees. And loan players, who have grown the squad size to 30 rather than 25 in recent years. Add all these together and the total actually paid to individual players seems like it will be lots less than the OP suggests.
Think most lower league players are on a lot less than most fans' wild guesses. I've regurgitated this so many times that i'm started to bore myself, but about 3 years Christian Ribiero was a guest at one of our GWG meetings, he told us that at that time, L2 wages was between £600-£1200 per week. Now average wages may have increased since then, but i don't believe they'll have gone that much. As a players salary is legally a private matter between himself, and the club, i've no idea why people choose to believe the wild claims of fans of other clubs regarding how much their players are paid. That doesnt mean tha clubs wont have 2 or three players paid way more than the average, but if its a choice between the guesswork of fans and a straight from the horses mouth players statement, i know which one i'll believe.
As Andrew say, there's also employer's NI and possibly WPP contributions to take into aaccou, so i very much doubt that the vast majority of our players are being paid as much as some appear to think.