• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Under 21s Premier League Cup: Exeter v Torquay

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The major part of the Holmesdale End was always for home supporters when Palace played at home, hence the title of their fans site. When Wimb played at home there were so few supporters that no one gave a toss where they stood.
I should add I also stood there when Everton played Palace.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The day Palace went up in 1969 the Holmesdale End was so crowded with huge queues to get in that my brothers and I went round to the comer between where the supermarket and Arthur Wait stands now are. It was a grassy bank at the top and really slippery, we nearly went underfoot several times. After the game everyone went on the pitch and the players threw their kit to the fans, even in some cases their boots and shorts; a few were left in just their jockers. Different times...

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
The major part of the Holmesdale End was always for home supporters when Palace played at home, hence the title of their fans site. When Wimb played at home there were so few supporters that no one gave a toss where they stood.
I watched a rather tedious 0-0 between Palace and City in 88 0r 89, stood on the open corner terrace looking across the Holmesdale End, which was a seething mass of blue boys with bananas.

tavyred

I too have fond memories of Selhurst, began watching Palace in the early Coppell era and after a couple of seasons in the Arthur Wait I moved across to the Sainsbury's End. Never forget Dave Madden seemingly appearing from nowhere and coming into the side in the promotion year and probably being the difference between going up and staying down. Other memories include watching Argyle getting whopped a couple of times and my pre-match pint in the Goat House...happy days!:)

grecIAN Harris

Just watched the highlights. Was it really as one sided as the highlights made it appear?

Phil Sayers

2.08 of this video would suggest that the Holmesdale End was a Terrace until 1995.

I recommend skipping between 010 and 0.15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0tkwqhXTc4

Edit: Should add well done to the team. Hoping for the same on Saturday!

Last edited:

Number13

Any date for the game yet?

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any date for the game yet?
yes , has anyone got the time and date yet?

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
yes , has anyone got the time and date yet?
Nope. Fingers crossed not the Tuesday while we're at Oxford.

http://www.exeweb.com/2013/09/30/exeter-city-take-on-torquay-united-in-under-21s-premier-league-cup/