• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hopefully be rid of these awful pound shops taking over the high street and pawnbrokers then.
After this crisis is finally over, our High Streets will be in tatters, and Pound shops will be one of the few businesses to survive, there will be little money about, and with their low value offers, they are less susceptible to online competition. As for pawnbrokers, the Government should cap interest rates at 10% above the Bank of England base rate for any sort of loan whatsoever, from Credit Cards, Bank Loans, Pawnbrokers etc. Lets say good bye and good riddance to any form of pay day loans, rent to buy household goods outfits et al, and condemn them to the annals of history !

DB9

I don't normally read The Guardian, Not for political reasons but just not my paper of choice but found this on my phone and summed up things well with a certain section of people who think they're more important and relevent than they really are

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Celebrity has exploded since the advent of social media & trash TV shows.
A lot of the people in that bracket have not done much real work,if any,& pontificate to everyone else.

Celebrity status is redundant in a crisis & hopefully toned down for good once this is over.

Oldsmobile-88

Edinburgh fringe festival cancelled(August)
A massive loss for that city.

Wimbledon cancelled unsurprisingly..Just as well I lost out on the ballot for tickets.

Dannyred

I think Branson has lost any respect that he had left.

He should have his knighthood taken away.

Oldsmobile-88

A huge Mortuary is being made ready near to the Nightingale Hospital(Ex-Cel centre)Plans for the ice rink at Milton Keynes to be turned into a temporary morgue.

Who would have thought this 6 weeks ago.

geoffwp

Thing is there is a lot, a massive, amount of horrible news out there and very little positive news to make even the smallest of counterbalance. I know we can't hide away and pretend this isn't happening but I do think, for all our mental healths sake, we should not immerse ourselves too much in the awfulness of it all for fear of drowning in it. Personally I try to only access news once a day. That's enough for me to keep track of what is currently happening without starting to feel totally helpless and completely vulnerable. That way lies anxiety and depression. I try to focus for some of the day on positive things; my neighbours kindness, my grandchildren's innocent lack of understanding, the sunshine (when it happens) on my face. Small things too like plants pushing through the soil and flowering. I try to meditate each day and clear my mind completely, this can be done by being mindful and focussing on something simple like the sound of wind in trees or the way clouds shift in the sky and allowing that focus to be your only thought. Now I know many might think this is a load of hippy junk but any way we can keep our mental health in good condition is important. Maybe we can think about that when we post.

Legohead

Banned
Thing is there is a lot, a massive, amount of horrible news out there and very little positive news to make even the smallest of counterbalance. I know we can't hide away and pretend this isn't happening but I do think, for all our mental healths sake, we should not immerse ourselves too much in the awfulness of it all for fear of drowning in it. Personally I try to only access news once a day. That's enough for me to keep track of what is currently happening without starting to feel totally helpless and completely vulnerable. That way lies anxiety and depression. I try to focus for some of the day on positive things; my neighbours kindness, my grandchildren's innocent lack of understanding, the sunshine (when it happens) on my face. Small things too like plants pushing through the soil and flowering. I try to meditate each day and clear my mind completely, this can be done by being mindful and focussing on something simple like the sound of wind in trees or the way clouds shift in the sky and allowing that focus to be your only thought. Now I know many might think this is a load of hippy junk but any way we can keep our mental health in good condition is important. Maybe we can think about that when we post.
Spot on Geoff. Couldn't have put it better. Meditation and time out is helping me too. Breathing exercises etc. Also I have stopped watching the news. Even when listening to the radio I turn it down on the half hour / hour as it's likely to be bad, unbalanced and nothing I can much about anyway. Makes me confused all these coronavirus doom programmes on tv in the evening. Haven't people had enough of the reality? Crazy that anyone would want to watch more coronavirus doom and gloom as 'entertainment'.

It's important we all look after our minds not just our bodies and nourish ourselves through nature. Also the media, although informative at times, is often just a bombardment of unbalanced negativity. I've worked that out now.

I'd like to hear news stories and stats of people who have recovered but they don't seem to be forthcoming much.

IndoMike

You're not one of them there bleddy sandal wearing hippy Greeners are you, Geoff?
Everyone has their own way of dealing with it, Geoff. There are no rules or guidelines
Personally I hardly ever follow the local news,, anyway, so tend to read about the UK or Spain.
Some posters are gloomy, some are optimistic, some don't want to know, some have suggestions, some rant about the Govt (me). Depends on character and various other factors. No reaction is a bad reaction.
I'm sitting here with the sunlight piercing through the kitchen window enjoying a fag and a coffee (sorry Ali) after having woken up in a startle. That often happens to me, but as soon as I get up and start moving around I'm ok.
It's all a mess, but we can only hang on in there and wait for better times. I try to see it as a challenge to myself : can I get through it and make sure the people around me can.
Those better times will come.

IndoMike

Although it may seem trivial to mention it now I believe a monument needs to be erected in tribute to the medical staff and auxiliary workers who have died giving service to the nation during the Corona virus and a medal or OBE or something should be awarded to the medical and auxiliary staff who survive
Of course it's no compensation for what they have been through but at least it's an acknowledgment of their heroic service