• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UEFA Nations League

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
We're still light years away technically and tactically from the best continental teams. Reaching the semi-finals if the WC lulled us into thinking we're good, but we ain't. Didn't beat any team of note in that WC.

grecIAN Harris

I dont know how Pickford can be classed as the best keeper to play for England. He was f*****g woeful when he decided he'd stay rooted to his line and allow a header in from 6 yards! I thought he might have done better when following up from his initial save for the second as well! Throwing himself to the ground without looking, and then getting chipped wasnt the way to go!
I'd disagree with the first point Pete. He's going into a car crash with two of his own defenders not to mention the goalscorer. If anything I'd blame the defender who didn't pick the runner. The second one I would agree. He did well to stop the first effort but, for me anyway, I thought he bottled the second block and dived to where he thought the ball was going to go instead of diving at the forwards feet where I think he would have had a better chance of getting the block in.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ironic that our current soldiers are fighting with pride on the D-Day anniversary. Maybe we should have thrown a plastic chair and a few bottles at the Germans and then stood on Omaha beach with our arms outstretched. Would have been a lot easier.
Fred you are so so right.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're still light years away technically and tactically from the best continental teams. Reaching the semi-finals if the WC lulled us into thinking we're good, but we ain't. Didn't beat any team of note in that WC.
I do not mind losing to a better team but both teams were mediocre. I don’t even mind if we have played well and lost as a result of a keeper or indeed defensive error. Last night was totally different I have watched football at all levels for over six decades but have never before seen a match that has been lost by two instances following in quick succession with one another where two individual players with no opponents close to them and under no pressure whatsoever somehow contrive to mess around playing it around at the back and end up gifting the other team goals.

Incredibly for me Southgate in his after match interview has defended the tactic so if he were to be taken as a role model by Matt our goals against column would be likely to end up in record figures.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dont know how Pickford can be classed as the best keeper to play for England. He was f*****g woeful when he decided he'd stay rooted to his line and allow a header in from 6 yards! I thought he might have done better when following up from his initial save for the second as well! Throwing himself to the ground without looking, and then getting chipped wasnt the way to go!
Pete agree with your second point. The first goal though was more down to poor marking and too be fair that was one hell of a powerful header.

grecIAN Harris

Pickford can take a cracking penalty though.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Great that we finished third in a tournament that no one quite understands.