• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Elections 2019

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Know what you mean. Loads of kids with Heavitree United kits there on Saturday.
Were they handing out Friends of the Earth propaganda though ??? Lol !

Doug3101

Actually I'm not. I'd just like someone with that kind of experience to be on the board to drive this kind of initiative forward. I'd certainly hope the club / trust might reach out to get Ed involved.
Ed has been coming to part A meetings for some time now.
He has also attended some Ownership Working Group meetings and contributed to the discussions.

IndoMike

I'm still confused about the "co-opting" .If you are co-opted
1. Do you have voting rights at board meetings?
2. Can you attend any board meetings or is it by invitation?
3. Are you in effect a volunteer who is asked from time to time to help, but only that?

LOG

Co-options can be for a number of reasons but often it’s because that person has particular skills/knowledge/experience that the Trust Board feels it needs. For it to happen, that person would need to be put forward by an existing Trustee and the Trust Board would then vote on whether they approved the appointment (or not).

If you’re co-opted you have the same voting rights as a “normal” Trustee and would be expected to attend Trust Board meetings in the same way too.

The main difference is that a co-option is for 12 months although this can always be extended by approval of a vote of the Trust Board.

If someone wants to get involved there’s also the route of asking to join one of the working groups which doesn’t need co-option or, according, Trust Board approval.

Red Bill

There's no suggestion that Al or any of the other unsuccessful candidates are going to be co-opted, but if they have a specific skill set that could be utilised having demonstrated the willingness to give over their time, then why not utilise it?
No problem with utilising skills and experience but when co-options are given full voting rights, that does make a mockery of the democratic process. I think it should be outlawed and considered put this as a resolution to last year's AGM, but came up with some issues I could sort out in time.
Just because I couldn't get myself sorted that time, doesnt mean it isnt possible. Members need to remember that if there's something you don't agree with, there are ways to change the rules.

IndoMike

Co-options can be for a number of reasons but often it’s because that person has particular skills/knowledge/experience that the Trust Board feels it needs. For it to happen, that person would need to be put forward by an existing Trustee and the Trust Board would then vote on whether they approved the appointment (or not).

If you’re co-opted you have the same voting rights as a “normal” Trustee and would be expected to attend Trust Board meetings in the same way too.

The main difference is that a co-option is for 12 months although this can always be extended by approval of a vote of the Trust Board.

If someone wants to get involved there’s also the route of asking to join one of the working groups which doesn’t need co-option or, according, Trust Board approval.
Thank you for the clear explanation.
Obviously the fact that people are prepared to give up their valuable time to help the club is admirable.
I must confess I'm a bit surprised that a co-opted member has the right to vote, since they are unelected : a bit like an advisor to the P.M. having the right to vote at a Cabinet meeting. There's also the question of accountability. However, if thems is the rules then so be it.
I repeat : it's excellent that people do so.much voluntary work, whether board member, co-opted member or just a supporter.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Regardless of whether co-opting is right or wrong, I personally would not accept an invitation to be co-opted. Such an action would, in my opinion, undermine the democratic nature of the elections and the candidates elected. Ed

geoffwp

Regardless of whether co-opting is right or wrong, I personally would not accept an invitation to be co-opted. Such an action would, in my opinion, undermine the democratic nature of the elections and the candidates elected. Ed
That would be a shame Ed as i thought you had some good ideas and you obviously are keen and enthusiastic. I agree with Bill regarding voting rights for co-optees. It does make a mockery of the voting process. If the trust want to co-opt because someone has a specific skills set useful to the club, that position should not come with full rights. Perhaps it should be seen as more of an advisory role.