• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Elections 2019

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes but what's the harm in using other platforms as well ? The candidate says he would like to increase Trust member numbers well it isn't going to help that worthy cause by only using the Trust website.
I suspect as many if not more Trust Members follow Exeweb as use the Trust website - I rarely bother with the latter these days.

Anyway, Candidates should be free to communicate with the electorate in multiple ways, so long as they do so in accordance with the election rules.

Cygnus

During the last contested Trust election in 2017, all the candidates posted on Exeweb and also answered questions, which certainly helped me make my decision on who to vote for and I would hope the same happens this year. That is unless the Trust Board are afraid of some real debate around the election?

StudentGrecian

As a longtime trust member I don't recall ever visiting the Trust site after I used it to become a member, unless it was through a link in a trust email. Which in itself probably agrees with Ed that more could be done to increase interest in trust membership. There are individuals who will be campaigning on various forms of social media, why isn't an Exeter City forum a good place to campaign?

Red Bill

This is not the correct place for electioneering, you've lost my vote before we start!!!
Why not? Where else can he easily interact with members? What a ridiculous thing to say!

Thanks Ed, for opening up for questions. I'm sure i'll think of a few before its time to vote!

Andy Holloway

Sends worrying signals that, at heart and in an ideal world, for the whole election thing should be the exclusive preserve of a small and self-selecting clique.
I would hope that you're not referring to The Trust Membership in your sweeping statement.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
No Andy, not at all. Just concerned about those (hopefully few) who seem to be wishing to construct the election, and all debate thereon, to their one "official" medium.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Dipping my toe in and fearing the worst, I suggest that our friend Hants starts up a separate thread for each candidate IF they post their manifesto to Exeweb.
In that way things won't get all jumbled up on one thread and it'll be easier to focus on each candidate and follow their comments and responses.
Just a suggestion, Hants, which i think is a sensible one.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies but, not to put too fine a point on it, I think you're talking gibberish.

I don't have any idea how many people look at the Trust website on anything like a regular basis but I'd wager a lot of money it's a fraction of the number who look at ExeWeb. In any case, it's plainly nonsense to suggest that some Trust members are excluded from accessing this site.

The Trust's continued success depends on its ability to speak to, and engage with, as many people as possible. With that in mind, I think it's great to see Ed Gallois making the effort to engage with members and would-be members, be it here on ExeWeb or on any other platform where there might be any interest in what they have to say. To suggest that you won't entertain voting for someone because they've shown a bit of gumption is IMO about as counterintuitive as it gets.
Absolutely spot on Egg. I remember having a similar conversation with Neil le Milliere many moons ago. Neil thought that the official club site would be the first point of call for any City fan but I thought it was Exeweb. Steve Morris then checked the official number of hits on both sites and Exeweb was a clear winner by a margin of about 4 to 1 .
As for Mr. Gallois, a repetition of the leaflet drop that I organised about ten years might bring similar results. 60,000 leaflets with Trust joining forms were distributed by volunteers in Exeter and adjoining East Devon towns. This resulted in an immediate membership increase of over 600.

i8cornwall

I'm not a member of the trust (though I've no reason not to be) but are there rules on what can and cannot be said in people manifestos?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Details of the candidates and their manifestos are HERE