• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Travelling with the players!

Wellyred

Whilst we were driving up to Chesterfield on saturday, we were reminiscing about all the away days and grounds that we've been to!.....when.. we remembered a trip that we made to Scarborough, probably in the 87,88 season, where we travelled up on the team coach and stayed in the same hotel as the players. It was a thing that the club organised where you paid to almost be a director or equivalent thingy and be part of the whole away trip experience......My reason for starting this thread , is to see whether anybody paid to do the same thing on any other away game???
I remember the Scarborough game i did was on easter monday and we stayed in Wakefield. We went out to a club, and i remember getting back to the hotel and playing cards till the wee hours with Chris Vinnicombe and Kevin Smith...anyone remember him!
The "guests" on my trip were Wivey Grecian and Gareth Blackwell....anyone out there know what Gareth is upto nowadays?
Please tell me we were'nt the only sad dopey f*ckers out there who for this once in a life time experience???

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember the football club offering that deal....A fairly unique experience i would imagine...I recall seeing Gareth suited & booted that day...

Wellyred

He's a top bloke...mad as f*ck back in those days though!!

Oldsmobile-88

He's a top bloke...mad as f*ck back in those days though!!
Indeed..I have not seen him for ages..He used to go on most of the Dartline trips in those days..

rugby red

In the mid60's I travelled on organised City coach trips often with a couple of mates, and at that time the lengthier trips lacked support, and often got cancelled. At Easter time we went to the ground and met Jock Basford to see if it was possible for us to travel with the team - I think we had two away matches within three/four days.
He appreciated our enthusiasm but for insurance reasons this was impossible. Non of us could drive,and therefore waited at home to hear the results.

Poultice

The Gargs were organising that kind of thing when they couldn't afford the price of a bus, I think it would be great but I can't imagine the powers that be wanting to rub shoulders with the great unwashed.

Whilst we were driving up to Chesterfield on saturday, we were reminiscing about all the away days and grounds that we've been to!.....when.. we remembered a trip that we made to Scarborough, probably in the 87,88 season, where we travelled up on the team coach and stayed in the same hotel as the players. It was a thing that the club organised where you paid to almost be a director or equivalent thingy and be part of the whole away trip experience......My reason for starting this thread , is to see whether anybody paid to do the same thing on any other away game???
I remember the Scarborough game i did was on easter monday and we stayed in Wakefield. We went out to a club, and i remember getting back to the hotel and playing cards till the wee hours with Chris Vinnicombe and Kevin Smith...anyone remember him!
The "guests" on my trip were Wivey Grecian and Gareth Blackwell....anyone out there know what Gareth is upto nowadays?
Please tell me we were'nt the only sad dopey f*ckers out there who for this once in a life time experience???
'we' as in the driver and passenger, I was just sat in the back agreeing as I was only 7 during that season!!

Last edited:

supercity2007

Notts county offered fans a game against the first team at £120 each fan last week

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Notts county offered fans a game against the first team at £120 each fan last week
I suggested this several seasons ago, with fans paying for quarter hour segments. Needless to say, it wasn't fully considered.

Sarcy Sid

For £120 I'd want to be playing IN the first team!!