• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Travel Arrangements In December

Legohead

Banned
Crikey! I'm not the only one with high blood pressure! ;)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Crikey! I'm not the only one with high blood pressure! ;)
120- 80 me, mate. The key is to let out the stress, never bottle it up.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
120- 80 me, mate. The key is to let out the stress, never bottle it up.
That's exactly what i've been doing on here. It's helping. :whistle:

grecIAN Harris

Nationalize the railways !!
Privatisation has been a disaster.
When I went back to the UK the first train I got broke down somewhere in the middle of nowhere before Bristol (en route to Manchester).They wouldn't open the doors for us and a fire engine was seen coming towards us up ahead. No information was provided at all. Eventually we got to Bristol.
I said fark that for lark, crossed the bridge and got the first train back. Never used a train again after that.
Nationalize the railways !
Bring the prices down ; they're extortionate. Why should passengers pay so much just to cover the ckst of incompetency of the management.
Always bleddy late, as well.
I've said that about all our core infrastructure suppliers. The railways, electric, water and gas. They should be run by the government and only make a profit for reinvestment and not to fill shareholders (or in the EDF, the French government) pockets.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've said that about all our core infrastructure suppliers. The railways, electric, water and gas. They should be run by the government and only make a profit for reinvestment and not to fill shareholders (or in the EDF, the French government) pockets.
Whilst I agree with you on the re-nationalising these industries if memory holds weren't the nationalised industries some of the most inefficient overstaffed, unionised businesses going in their time. But hopefully now they would have learnt their lesson and could be run more effectively without the need to satisfy greedy shareholder and profits ploughed back into the industries to give better and more effective services

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
This dispute is nonsense and neither side will budge. The RMT want a guarantee to retain guards on the train. SWR have agreed this. However SWR are insisting the drivers are able to open / close the doors on the new (yet to be introduced trains). The train drivers union (ASLEF) have agreed this. The RMT flatly refuse, solely because they think it removes the ability of the RMT strike action in future to affect the running of the trains as managers could be drafted in to check tickets/assist. The dispute is not about pay or conditions - just who opens the doors on new (which will only be a small % of the total) trains that SWR run.

And the disruption is significant. Every time they strike there are no trains to Exeter, it is a bus from Salisbury or (at best) Yeovil
The core part of the network still runs, with less trains, but the fringes suffer significantly.

I have no time for SWR, they have been an utter disaster since taking over and off-peak tickets have been dramatically cut back. Grayling should be publically investigated for his incompetence. However to endlessly inflict this misery on millions (and it is millions) of people who have no choice but to use SWR every day is outrageous.

IndoMike

This dispute is nonsense and neither side will budge. The RMT want a guarantee to retain guards on the train. SWR have agreed this. However SWR are insisting the drivers are able to open / close the doors on the new (yet to be introduced trains). The train drivers union (ASLEF) have agreed this. The RMT flatly refuse, solely because they think it removes the ability of the RMT strike action in future to affect the running of the trains as managers could be drafted in to check tickets/assist. The dispute is not about pay or conditions - just who opens the doors on new (which will only be a small % of the total) trains that SWR run.

And the disruption is significant. Every time they strike there are no trains to Exeter, it is a bus from Salisbury or (at best) Yeovil
The core part of the network still runs, with less trains, but the fringes suffer significantly.

I have no time for SWR, they have been an utter disaster since taking over and off-peak tickets have been dramatically cut back. Grayling should be publically investigated for his incompetence. However to endlessly inflict this misery on millions (and it is millions) of people who have no choice but to use SWR every day is outrageous.
Don't worry. Grayling didn"t only screw up the railways : he screwed up everything he went near to. The man was an absolute disgrace

It's simply an opinion tinged with a slight bit of annoyance. Obviously you must always in a state of pure Zen.
Yep! You're dead right there! I certainly don't go wetting my knickers about trivia when I can easily solve it! And by the way, I'm a Buddhist!

StroudGrecian

Whilst I agree with you on the re-nationalising these industries if memory holds weren't the nationalised industries some of the most inefficient overstaffed, unionised businesses going in their time.
In a word, no, but that was how the decision to privatise them was peddled by the Tory government of the 80s and 90s.

The nationalised industries were an anathema to the ideological 'small-government' mantra of the monetarists - they were far from perfect and, like pretty much any other industry, had plenty of room to improve efficiencies, but their wholesale dismantling and privatisation was done to slash government expenditure and so present the government as being more efficient, irrespective of how disastrous privatisation would be, and how much more individuals would have to pay to private companies to travel/communcate/heat their homes - just as long as the government could be seen to be cutting taxes.

British Rail for example was certainly far from perfect, but it was a damn sight better than the utter turd we are expected to travel with today.

Legohead

Banned
That's an awful lot of exclamation marks for someone so calm.