• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Travel Arrangements In December

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Waste of time getting a Network Railcard this season

Can’t go to Cambridge this weekend - engineering work
Can‘t go to Crawley - engineering work
Can’t t go to December home matches - strike action

It’s an endless line of disruption from that lot.

Good news for Tesco fuel station though 😌

Legohead

Banned
Do they not realize that by striking they are forcing people to use the roads and accelerating climate change? Then they won't need a job as the rail network will soon be under seawater. :LOL:

Nigel E

A lot of people face redundancy and rubbish pay increases. Myself included in the past. I wouldn't / didn't disrupt the people i am paid to serve just to help my own agenda. So yes. It's pathetic IMO. I don't for one moment believe safety has much to do with it.

If they want to fight for their jobs and more money then i am right behind them but they need to do it in a way that doesn't impact on others. That's called selfishness.
Behave yourself. I suspect I'm someone who will be more significantly affected by this action than you, and I sympathise with them. As do many other fellow SWR sufferers.

The general weight of opinion these days for action like this tends to be supportive - more so than perhaps 10-20 years ago. People are envious of workers who have a strong union to support them certainly, but on balance don't blame them for using that to protect themselves. (They do after all pay for that through union subs etc.) And while I wouldn't fully swallow the RMT's presentation of the story, I can well believe that this total shower of a train company has behaved deviously in this dispute.

As to safety, there is no way that I want to be on a three-hour plus train journey on a line like that one without a guard.

Oldsmobile-88

Do they not realize that by striking they are forcing people to use the roads and accelerating climate change? Then they won't need a job as the rail network will soon be under seawater. :LOL:
:D

It’s so much cheaper to drive to away games.
I used to travel by rail to many away fixtures,but even with ticket splits that I know back to front on certain routes it’s easier & cheaper to drive even if I am the only person in the car.
The only advantage with train travel for me was that I could have a few beers during the day,as I do not drink much alcohol these days that draw to the train has gone.

Red red

I am here in Mexico City. 20 pence anywhere in the city on the metro . Absolutely packed SWR want to look at that not hitting the average person . Twats . Sorry for the rant .

Legohead

Banned
Mexico City? Don't they have the highest murder rate in the world? Sod the 20p, i'd DEFINITELY be avoiding public transport over there Red red. In fact, i'd be driving round in an armoured vehicle. ;)

Red Devon

I am here in Mexico City. 20 pence anywhere in the city on the metro . Absolutely packed SWR want to look at that not hitting the average person . Twats . Sorry for the rant .

Is there air conditioning on those trains, I got one back from Waterloo on a hot day in July, overcrowded literally like a packed tube train with standing room only until Salisbury...there was a lot of people on that train looking in a bad way because of the unbearable heat.

Funny how it's always the people in jobs that have the most impact on others that are always striking. Teachers, nurses, fire service, rail companies etc. There are many other people employed in this country who also aren't happy with their jobs / pay rises but who don't have the luxury of disrupting others daily lives for their own ends. If you don't like your pay rise or your job then deal with it like the rest of us have to. It's pathetic. Yes they have a right to protest and to put their grievances across but in a manner that doesn't affect the rest of society.

I might consider striking in my job. If anyone wants to adopt a dog or a cat, or even a hamster. They they can bugger off until i get a pay rise. :LOL:
[/QUOTEThought about buses or even driving, Matey? Might be better for your blood pressure and your general well-being.

Legohead

Banned
It's simply an opinion tinged with a slight bit of annoyance. Obviously you must always in a state of pure Zen.

IndoMike

Nationalize the railways !!
Privatisation has been a disaster.
When I went back to the UK the first train I got broke down somewhere in the middle of nowhere before Bristol (en route to Manchester).They wouldn't open the doors for us and a fire engine was seen coming towards us up ahead. No information was provided at all. Eventually we got to Bristol.
I said fark that for lark, crossed the bridge and got the first train back. Never used a train again after that.
Nationalize the railways !
Bring the prices down ; they're extortionate. Why should passengers pay so much just to cover the ckst of incompetency of the management.
Always bleddy late, as well.