• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Travel Arrangements In December

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you're coming from anywhere requiring a service on the Waterloo line...……………………………………… forget it!!!! The Guards on Southwest Railway have voted to go on strike for 27 days in December, 2nd December through to the 29th December. Nowt like trying to get the customer on side to win your dispute.... not!!!!!!

Rosencrantz

If you're coming from anywhere requiring a service on the Waterloo line...……………………………………… forget it!!!! The Guards on Southwest Railway have voted to go on strike for 27 days in December, 2nd December through to the 29th December. Nowt like trying to get the customer on side to win your dispute.... not!!!!!!
Ongoing dispute in rail companies trying to phase guards out. Not surprised they are trying to do something. What else can they do if not striking to raise the stakes with the rail companies taking no notice of union talks. It's always difficult to choose to strike as it inevitability affects the customer adversely.

grecIAN Harris

Difficult to chose??? You think. It's the option they've chosen time and again for the two years and more so it can't be that difficult.

Legohead

Banned
Funny how it's always the people in jobs that have the most impact on others that are always striking. Teachers, nurses, fire service, rail companies etc. There are many other people employed in this country who also aren't happy with their jobs / pay rises but who don't have the luxury of disrupting others daily lives for their own ends. If you don't like your pay rise or your job then deal with it like the rest of us have to. It's pathetic. Yes they have a right to protest and to put their grievances across but in a manner that doesn't affect the rest of society.

I might consider striking in my job. If anyone wants to adopt a dog or a cat, or even a hamster. They they can bugger off until i get a pay rise. :LOL:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Funny how it's always the people in jobs that have the most impact on others that are always striking. Teachers, nurses, fire service, rail companies etc. There are many other people employed in this country who also aren't happy with their jobs / pay rises but who don't have the luxury of disrupting others daily lives for their own ends. If you don't like your pay rise or your job then deal with it like the rest of us have to. It's pathetic. Yes they have a right to protest and to put their grievances across but in a manner that doesn't affect the rest of society.

I might consider striking in my job. If anyone wants to adopt a dog or a cat, or even a hamster. They they can bugger off until i get a pay rise. :LOL:
Join a union.

Anyways I camn now buy my set of train tickets for travel to Exeter. Shame GWR (God's Worse Railways) are so expensive, and the new timetable adds an age to my travel time.

Nigel E

Two sides to every story and all that.

They're fighting for their jobs and - they would argue - our safety. Neither of those things is "pathetic".

In any case, the disruption may not be that worse than the recent "bustitution" pretty much every weekend in October and November.

Legohead

Banned
A lot of people face redundancy and rubbish pay increases. Myself included in the past. I wouldn't / didn't disrupt the people i am paid to serve just to help my own agenda. So yes. It's pathetic IMO. I don't for one moment believe safety has much to do with it.

If they want to fight for their jobs and more money then i am right behind them but they need to do it in a way that doesn't impact on others. That's called selfishness.

Oldsmobile-88

I did not know this dispute was still going on !!..It must have been festering on for years.

grecIAN Harris

I did not know this dispute was still going on !!..It must have been festering on for years.
At least two and a bit.

Nigel E

At least two and a bit.
And before that was Southern Rail for years - essentially on the same issue.

Awarding SWR the franchise - rather than the incumbent company that was doing ok compared to most - was another of Chris Grayling's masterstrokes. Was dependant on a new timetable being introduced allowing more trains to be run and lower staffing levels. But the new timetable had to be junked due to the chaos caused when a similar timetable change collapsed elsewhere, and they still can't resolve this dispute. In the meantime, performance has been a lot worse than the previous operator.

I'd put money on SWR handing back the keys before the end of the franchise, as other rail companies have done.