• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

This is beyond a joke

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Those people are idiots.
Agree, but it's their child and they have pound signs in their eyes and in their brain, lots and lots of them.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's been mentioned on here before but just remembered...

Colesman Ballz

While I agree with sturtz's feelings on this I'd also be devils advocate and remind that the very fact our students do move on to category3 academys is something that will tempt very talented young players to join. We will inevitably lose some but it gives us a better chance to find a keep a diamond. None of that excuses the premiershit shysters.
Ahem ! Our Academy IS Category 3 !!!

geoffwp

Ahem ! Our Academy IS Category 3 !!!
Maths was never my strong point CB!!😎😁

ex_user1234

Resigned
The parents know that the club gets screwed if their kid leaves before signing a contract at 16, yet still they go ahead. We need to address this issue first before trying to overturn the entire system.

StudentGrecian

The parents know that the club gets screwed if their kid leaves before signing a contract at 16, yet still they go ahead. We need to address this issue first before trying to overturn the entire system.
How do we address that issue? We can't chase them round with pitchforks until they advise their kid to sign on.
Overturning the system that allows them to leave for peanuts is the only way to sort the issue, if we got fair compensation then it wouldn't be a problem would it?

hardi2b

Mae it Contractually conditional on sign - up maybe? although I have little or no knowledge pertaining to this particular situation.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd love to see the EFL take another vote on EPPP now BUT this time to opt in to EPPP and take the annual money on offer or to stay out and receive nothing...and then negotiate fees for youngsters independently / set by tribunal if an agreement isn't reached.

Then clubs like us that want to run an academy properly should reap the rewards whilst those that don't can take the EPPP money.

How many would risk opting out? Would we?

Reactions: WXF

malcolms

I'd love to see the EFL take another vote on EPPP now BUT this time to opt in to EPPP and take the annual money on offer or to stay out and receive nothing...and then negotiate fees for youngsters independently / set by tribunal if an agreement isn't reached.

Then clubs like us that want to run an academy properly should reap the rewards whilst those that don't can take the EPPP money.

How many would risk opting out? Would we?
I don't apologise for taking the same view that I always have which is the benefits of running an Academy are overstated. Sure when you are fortunate enough to see a player through his formative years and he signs a professional contract, you can see a real return on your investment. However, more and more kids are advised to milk the system and if they have real potential their agents move them on to bigger clubs who are happy to pay the pittance involved against a punt that the kid will make real money in the future. I accept that an Academy has social benefits, but I'm not sure that should interfere with a commercial judgement. A team of quality contacts (scouts) would be able to unearth a reliable supply of kids who have just missed out on making the cut further up the pyramid and are maybe now playing non league. The group of coaches we have should be able to turn these players into assets for the first team and long term commercial assets for the club. (I don't expect this view to be universally held)

elginCity

If the system continues to permit a pittance to be paid for potential, the Academy would not be sustainable. Your model would be an obvious alternative.

Personally, I believe an Academy should be a string to the bow of any community club, the personal development of youth and fostering of local links is of value in itself. But, it has to be financially viable and not threaten the future of the club. EPPP is indeed 'beyond a joke' as it is right now.