• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Third signing plus a new Keeper ?

Red Monster

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
What a pointless article. Space filler for the most of it but will be good if we do make a further signing this week. Depending who it is of course.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The article is so lazy (other than that we may be close to another signing). We weren't 'heavily linked' with Ryan Taylor and Vadaine Oliver. It was some Internet gossip following paper talk.

That said if we sign another player this week I will be very pleased and surely Ribeiro will give his decision this week, too.

tagz

If we get a new keeper what would Pete have to moan about?
That you're wasting the wage budget by having 3 goalkeepers under contract

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That you're wasting the wage budget by having 3 goalkeepers under contract
Which would be correct too, especially as we have no reserve side playing regular fixtures. If either Hamon or Pym are injured for any length of time we could easily get a keeper in on loan if Tisdale doesn't trust Keadell to play (yet).

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't get this 'got to get an experienced keeper in' thought process, surely the best option is to shore up the defence - solid centre backs supported by strong tackling defenders. Pym and Hamon have both had a season between them, there's competition for the jersey which should keep them on their toes, and how many actual goals were they solely accountable for last year (there will be some but isn't there for all goalkeepers) - Pete don't answer 'cos I am sure you will come up with 66.

So I would think a new goalkeeper would be a waste of a wage (unless one is going?) and as JH states if one gets injured there is always the loan system!

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't get this 'got to get an experienced keeper in' thought process, surely the best option is to shore up the defence - solid centre backs supported by strong tackling defenders. Pym and Hamon have both had a season between them, there's competition for the jersey which should keep them on their toes, and how many actual goals were they solely accountable for last year (there will be some but isn't there for all goalkeepers) - Pete don't answer 'cos I am sure you will come up with 66.

So I would think a new goalkeeper would be a waste of a wage (unless one is going?) and as JH states if one gets injured there is always the loan system!
I agree we must shore up the defence, but an experienced and decent 'keeper would make us a stronger defensive unit. I think that communication and commanding of the area is invaluable to a defence and I'm not convinced that Pym nor Hammon has the necessary presence. I'd be in favour of loaning one out for the season and bringing in an experienced 'keeper.

Pobbop

I agree we must shore up the defence, but an experienced and decent 'keeper would make us a stronger defensive unit. I think that communication and commanding of the area is invaluable to a defence and I'm not convinced that Pym nor Hammon has the necessary presence. I'd be in favour of loaning one out for the season and bringing in an experienced 'keeper.
Yes but in the end the defence we had, had no leaders, you need communication and command from the whole umit. I'd like to see one of our 'keepers in there with an experienced consistent partnership in front of them.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Agree re the defence but I hope one of the keepers makes the shirt his own. I don't think it does a lot of good one having six or seven games and then the other having a go. I would like an experienced option but if that happened either pym or hamon should be going out on loan as we need to know how they are progressing.

ALOTBSOL

I think that if we do sign an experienced keeper, it would be another show of intent for us to be really pushing. I agree that we don't need one, and that a decent CB pairing is more important at this stage, but you'd hope that if we did sign a keeper they would be a step up into the genuinely-good-for-this-level category, rather than the can-do-a-decent-job that I would currently place both Pym and Hamon in.