• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Stelios

Households keeping a couple of candles handy in case of industrial disputed that would lead to power cuts.
A fairly regular occurrence in the 1970’s.The last ones I can remember were in Oct/Nov 1977 when the CEGB were ‘working to rule’
My parents have still got some in an old biscuit tin (y)

Has come in handy more than once during a power cut.

Stelios

Quite how is somewhat baffling, seems more like teaching them to let others do the donkey work !
Well that is capitalism in a nutshell so they're being taught well.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thomas Cook aircraft in the skies. Shame to see another old name bite the dust.
Thomas Cook aircraft are in the skies. They are flying empty from this airport today, operated by other companies, collecting holidaymakers. They will be doing this for a fortnight.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thomas Cook aircraft in the skies. Shame to see another old name bite the dust.
Agreed but other companies will fill the void.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the Thomas Cook aircraft weren't allowed to fly now and it was being handled by other airlines?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the Thomas Cook aircraft weren't allowed to fly now and it was being handled by other airlines?
Thomas Cook's aircraft were leased. They are being used as part of the repatriation programme.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fidget spinners. At one point, a couple years ago, all kids had them,2 or 3 each. They were everywhere, breeding, going to take over the earth. Now where are they? Stuck in the bottom of drawers or burrowed into the earths core to regroup and come back in a couple of decades just like the Rubik’s cube
I found one in my handbag the other day. (n)

Oldsmobile-88

Manual Choke on a car...A work of art to set it correctly on a cold morning without ‘flooding’ the carburettor if pulled out too much,or a stall if too little.

elginCity

Spud peeler kitchen knife.

STURTZ

Manual Choke on a car...A work of art to set it correctly on a cold morning without ‘flooding’ the carburettor if pulled out too much,or a stall if too little.
Very true but who remembers starter handles?