• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought it had to be rebuilt as closely as possible to the original.
Yes I think that is broadly true. Owners of Listed Buildings are responsible in law for their upkeep/preservation, and any new owner would take over the liability which of course would be tremendously expensive. If they are unable to sell it on, the responsibility remains with Brownsword. The Council should be able to take legal action, or possibly even undertake repairs and recharge the cost. All avenues are going to be an extremely lengthy process, cost a packet and be a very messy business. I could even forsee the possibility of Brownsword having to pay someone to take it off their hands. I think the scar on the historical jewel that is the Cathedral Close will be with us for many years to come.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
How long has it taken to sort out a fairly new built swimming pool after a lot smaller fire !

Grecian2K

Must admit that the conflagration at the Plaza did bemuse me somewhat. After all it must take some exceptional muckwupery to set fire to a swimming pool. Even Mr Brittas, in his pomp, didn't shoehorn that into his sitcom.

Still (even though I know he won't read this!!!) the previous poster should sleep easy. Work has been going on recently to continue he restoration, albeit at a slow pace. Scaffolding is now up and teams of casual workers have been spotted carrying teacups of water up from the Exe ready for the grand refilling. And, at least, the money making (?) health club bit surprisingly escaped Ye Greate Fyre of Alphington St and has continued trading throughout.

Grecian2K

Incidentally it might be worth considering that the Main Contactors who happen to have be (independently!) engaged to initiate both projects (Kier) have been, for the last few months, preoccupied with much larger, and well publicised, financial concerns.
So I wouldn't imagine that a couple of tiny projects in a small provincial City would have attracted too much priority in the boardroom?

Oldsmobile-88

Lockers at Bus & Railway stations.

Alistair20000

Yes I think that is broadly true. Owners of Listed Buildings are responsible in law for their upkeep/preservation, and any new owner would take over the liability which of course would be tremendously expensive. If they are unable to sell it on, the responsibility remains with Brownsword. The Council should be able to take legal action, or possibly even undertake repairs and recharge the cost. All avenues are going to be an extremely lengthy process, cost a packet and be a very messy business. I could even forsee the possibility of Brownsword having to pay someone to take it off their hands. I think the scar on the historical jewel that is the Cathedral Close will be with us for many years to come.
Is there not insurance to cover the rebuilding ?

I wonder if the property is in a separate company that Brownsword can just put into liquidation to frustrate any claim the Council might try to make.

I smell a rat here.

Colesman Ballz

Is there not insurance to cover the rebuilding ?

I wonder if the property is in a separate company that Brownsword can just put into liquidation to frustrate any claim the Council might try to make.

I smell a rat here.
Interestingly The Royal Clarence has been removed from Abode's website. They own 12 other hotels, of which I suspect 11 or 12 are almost certainly listed buildings. so they are not without means, although as you say, whether it is in a separate company could be pivotal. I can't imagine it wasn't insured, but do wonder if it was seriously under insured ? Despite the "well meaning" spin of the their statement, quite obviously it is a purely commercial decision that was made. If I were a local resident in Canterbury, Bath, Glasgow, Manchester etc I would be pretty worried about whether the listed buildings in their care were in safe hands.

Talking of Buildings Insurance, I am intrigued with Exeter City Council's position on the Clifton Sports Centre. I have never seen any reference to insurance cover mentioned. When the roof collapsed under the weight of snow, surely if cover existed it was a simple claim job to have it repaired ? Was it adequately insured ? If so did the Council just seize on the opportunity to sell off the larger area of the site, and also"pocket" the insurance money, presumably to help fund the escalating costs of their mahoosive vanity project that is St Sidwell's Point ?

Alistair20000

Interestingly The Royal Clarence has been removed from Abode's website. They own 12 other hotels, of which I suspect 11 or 12 are almost certainly listed buildings. so they are not without means, although as you say, whether it is in a separate company could be pivotal. I can't imagine it wasn't insured, but do wonder if it was seriously under insured ? Despite the "well meaning" spin of the their statement, quite obviously it is a purely commercial decision that was made. If I were a local resident in Canterbury, Bath, Glasgow, Manchester etc I would be pretty worried about whether the listed buildings in their care were in safe hands.

Talking of Buildings Insurance, I am intrigued with Exeter City Council's position on the Clifton Sports Centre. I have never seen any reference to insurance cover mentioned. When the roof collapsed under the weight of snow, surely if cover existed it was a simple claim job to have it repaired ? Was it adequately insured ? If so did the Council just seize on the opportunity to sell off the larger area of the site, and also"pocket" the insurance money, presumably to help fund the escalating costs of their mahoosive vanity project that is St Sidwell's Point ?

A question to put to the Council there Mr Ballz (on the Clifton Sports Centre) with a FOI request if they do not reply fully.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Do councils insure? I know in the civil service we didn't, as it didn't make financial sense.

Oldsmobile-88

Do councils insure? I know in the civil service we didn't, as it didn't make financial sense.
I know that the company that I used to work for only insured their vehicles 3rd Party(the legal minimum) because with a fleet of 500 vehicles the cost of full insurance was prohibiting..It was cheaper to take the hit if a vehicle was damaged or written off if it was the employee at fault..I expect a lot of other companies do the same.

The risk that way can work out less costly in the long run.