• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The third tranche...

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
When the club released a statement recently regarding future possible transfer income, the third tranche is set aside for the playing budget over a period of time.

I would envisage that many would see this as a positive but would this be at the detriment of our youth players?

Would the good burghers of Exeweb take "saving" any extra budget money from this season and letting the youth get more games, potentially upping their stock and finish in mid table mediocrity or would they prefer to go all out for promotion this season?

JRFowler

You can't rely on youth alone, I don't honestly think we are good enough for promotion this season, mind you we arnt far off. A few sensible investments alongside our youngsters will see us with a fighting chance

Avening Posse

I want promotion, but I think we can strike a balance anyway. I genuinely believe we are as good as anybody this season, only Burton have seriously impressed me. Obviously we don't know what happens post-grimes, but the early planning with Noble and Harley shows we have a plan B, whether it works remains to be seen. The youth system should continue to flourish even if we buy 1 or 2 quality experienced pro's in my view

ALOTBSOL

In that statement they did also say that the money being spent on the squad would be over 3 or more years, as opposed to all at once. If you take 4 players on £1k a week for those 3 years (doesn't have to be the same 4, just 4 more than we would normally have been able to afford) then that already works out to just short of £500k. I don't think any investment in the squad is going to cause an issue with the younger player's chances. Personally I hope that they use it to bring in players like Dunne and Troy so that we can potentially net a profit on those as well.

Either way, I don't think they'll be spending too much of it until the summer (other than the wages for Noble, Harley, Morrison and Nicholls when we probably sign them all on either 6 or 18 month deals)

Langer

I think we should save all the money in a high interest account we are doing ok in the league and it wont be long before we are in the Brown stuff again this kind of payday comes along once in a generation. HNY :)

Avening Posse

I think we should save all the money in a high interest account we are doing ok in the league and it wont be long before we are in the Brown stuff again this kind of payday comes along once in a generation. HNY :)
Hi Langer, if you can find any high interest accounts out there at the moment I'm all ears !, happy new year by the way :)

motorservices

Just a thought but if this was stagered over say 3 yrs that would drop our Tax bill, am i right in thinking that we will pay 40% of the transfer to the tax man?

Grecian2K

Just a thought but if this was stagered over say 3 yrs that would drop our Tax bill, am i right in thinking that we will pay 40% of the transfer to the tax man?
Well the HMRC take on the matter is shown here
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim64115.htm
(Clear as mud IMHO, although the 5% levy taken by the League is a bit of a stunner?!)

The VAT situation seems equally confuddling (at least to my non-accounting mind)
http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2943708/ShowPost.aspx

angelic upstart

In a word, no. There's no VAT on transfers and we would only pay tax on our year end profit. Even then it would be very easy to not pay tax on it.

On average, from memory, clubs in the prem that manage to make a profit end up paying about 2% of their surplus in corporation tax.

Langer

Hi Langer, if you can find any high interest accounts out there at the moment I'm all ears !, happy new year by the way :)
You must be able to get a good rate somewhere on nearly 2 million ?