• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The state of the EFL

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
A very sad read and player greed is a serious problem in football where wage caps need to be made, bale on one million a week is messed up, Several National league players earning over £2k a week in a mainly part time league.

Men’s football needs a big rethink before it’s to late.
Wage Caps won't work, Bale, If some club offers him that that's not his fault, No one in their right mind would turn their noses up at that. Same as the Nat League players, If their agents can get that then good luck to them, To footballers, especially in the lower leagues they don't earn massive amounts and their careers are short they have to get as much as they can to look after their families.

Pobbop

Wage Caps won't work, Bale, If some club offers him that that's not his fault, No one in their right mind would turn their noses up at that. Same as the Nat League players, If their agents can get that then good luck to them, To footballers, especially in the lower leagues they don't earn massive amounts and their careers are short they have to get as much as they can to look after their families.
of course wage caps won't work, in fact bringing up Bale who may still go to Chinashows how ludicrous it is, the fact is if we put any kind of wage cap in, all the best players will go abroad to another continent, Dubai Wanderers would probably be takin on Doha Rovers within a few years as the most viewed match.

As others have said the greed is not really the players, it is above them.

tavyred

Bury game against The Dongs postponed at the weekend.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Bury game against The Dongs postponed at the weekend.
And if they don't sort it by Friday 12.00 the next game sounding like it will be called off as well !

ECFC89

Yeh but, mate, I'd much rather some random Arab come in and take over the club, cos they show ambition like, and would give us the funds to go up to the championship like, and it will all end well. I'll tell you why, cos I said it will and every madman that takes over a club always ends up fine...................

manc grecian

And if they don't sort it by Friday 12.00 the next game sounding like it will be called off as well !
So another 3/6pt deduction on top of the 12 they've already lost

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You'd have thought that when players were making decisions on where to sign, they'd do a bit of due diligence. There are always clubs spending vast sums and its usually pretty predictable which ones are going to end up in trouble, with players not getting paid. Take a bit less at a club that's well run, or take a higher salary that you might end up not getting?

Anyone fancy a little wager on Mansfield? In 5 years time, above or below us in the football pyramid?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feel sorry for Troy Brown if Bury are his best option

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone fancy a little wager on Mansfield? In 5 years time, above or below us in the football pyramid?
As I have siad before I would love for them to do a Notts County - smug little poopoos

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I have siad before I would love for them to do a Notts County - smug little poopoos
Its a never ending cyclical story unfortunately. Club spending sums of money far greater than would seem sustainable. Reports suggest that all is well. Sign a load of players on big contracts. Do well. Fans of other clubs ask "why can't we be like X". Keep doing well for a bit. Everything goes belly up. Hindsight suggests it was obvious. Meanwhile a new club are spending vast sums of money far greater than would seem sustainable. I think if it looks too good to be true, give the club 5 years max.