• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me the sorry tale of a club I have followed for 40 years, through ups and downs similar to ECFC, is a lesson for you lot to value your ownership as a supporters trust club. Whatever happens, good or bad, at least you know decisions will be made in the interests of the club.

Poor decisions and incompetence has led my team to the brink of...well, what? Liquidation would be better than this. At least it would be quick and we could get on with forming a phoenix team or getting on with life. This is death by slow suffocation. We know where it’s all going to end but it could be another decade before the final shots are administered. We are in the grasp of Osborne. He has us checkmate. All we can do is hope that the council never sells him the freehold and that the person ****s off. But he won’t. He plays the long game. He’s been involved with Swindon speedway for around a decade, sucking the life out of them, crushing any hopes with false promise after false promise. It doesn’t matter to him how long it takes as long as he gets what he wants at the end of it. Our club is like a corpse in the Walking Dead, just existing, in limbo, screwed and ****ed. There’s little point in going because you feel like you’re endorsing the fantasy that Clarke Osborne cons the gullible with. Yet does a boycott play exactly into his hands, proving such a stadium is no longer needed. Nobody knows. Who can tell? Our club is dead, yet still it exists, losing at home to a team our reserves used to beat. There are very many worse things in life but it does engender anger and malaise.
As others have said I wish you weren't in such an awful position right now. I've been watching events at Torquay over the last few years with a mixture of disbelief and anger at the mismanagement there. I remember posts on the Banter Board when we were struggling along the lines of "Torquay 33 places above Exeter" etc but always took them in good spirit because I was proud of our Trust Ownership and the 'onwards & upwards' vibe we had developed. Then I saw Argyle collapse with any chance of supporter ownership there scuttled by a Developer & a self appointed 'Trust Chairman' and then your own sorry fall from grace.

I hope this is your equivalent of our Russell & Lewis years and Osborne gets shown up soon for the sham he is - giving you a chance to rebuild.

All the best and hoping for my favourite Devon derby again in years to come.

Last edited:

IndoMike

As others have said I wish you weren't in such an awful position right now. I've been watching events at Torquay over the last few years with a mixture of disbelief and anger at the mismanagement there. I remember posts on the Banter Board when we were struggling along the lines of "Torquay 33 places above Exeter" etc but always took them in good spirit because I was proud of our Trust Ownership and the 'onwards & upwards' vibe we had developed. Then I saw Argyle collapse with any chance of supporter ownership there scuttled by a Developer & a self appointed 'Trust Chairman' and then your own sorry fall from grace.

I hope this is your equivalent of our Russell & Lewis years and Osborne gets shown up soon for the sham he is - giving you a chance to rebuild.

All the best and hoping for my favourite Devon derby again in years to come.
I also used to love the Torquay derbies. There was always a special feel and buzz to the games, often held on Boxing Day or Easter Monday as I recall and generally played in a good spirit.
And the team that Torquay had in the 70's with several ex Hammers was a class outfit and not far from promotion to the second tier. To see a neighbour in such dire straits gives no pleasure.

DB9

For me the sorry tale of a club I have followed for 40 years, through ups and downs similar to ECFC, is a lesson for you lot to value your ownership as a supporters trust club. Whatever happens, good or bad, at least you know decisions will be made in the interests of the club.

Poor decisions and incompetence has led my team to the brink of...well, what? Liquidation would be better than this. At least it would be quick and we could get on with forming a phoenix team or getting on with life. This is death by slow suffocation. We know where it’s all going to end but it could be another decade before the final shots are administered. We are in the grasp of Osborne. He has us checkmate. All we can do is hope that the council never sells him the freehold and that the person ****s off. But he won’t. He plays the long game. He’s been involved with Swindon speedway for around a decade, sucking the life out of them, crushing any hopes with false promise after false promise. It doesn’t matter to him how long it takes as long as he gets what he wants at the end of it. Our club is like a corpse in the Walking Dead, just existing, in limbo, screwed and ****ed. There’s little point in going because you feel like you’re endorsing the fantasy that Clarke Osborne cons the gullible with. Yet does a boycott play exactly into his hands, proving such a stadium is no longer needed. Nobody knows. Who can tell? Our club is dead, yet still it exists, losing at home to a team our reserves used to beat. There are very many worse things in life but it does engender anger and malaise.
Good to hear from you again Granville, Though wish it was under better circumstances. Reading DotNet it beggars belief that some on there seem to support the useless manager you've got, His tenure has been one of utter failure for TUFC and you'd do well to get rid but he seems to be very close to those in charge and i can't believe he's still in the job! To see you so low is awful and I'm not gloating one bit, "There but the grace of god" etc Only good thing is it's very early in the season and have time to turn it around and looking at the NLS table you're not far from the play off's but i guess you and most fans think that Owers won't turn it around. As for the owner and his "Vision" for a new stadium, Can't see this happening, It's obvious he's not there for the football club but for the land the stadium stands on, His track record is shady at best an you need strong people to track his motives because i think his idea is to sink you so low that people would forget about TUFC as a football club and then he will swoop in for the kill and make shed loads in re-developing the ground. Difficult and sad times for you and i do feel for you and the rest of your fans

I don't wish Torquay to go bust but I certainly enjoy their decline as much as their fans were enjoying goading us when we were losing in the playoff games.

It particular pleases me to think of the **** who was shouting in my face that we would never get out of the Conference outside of the Odeon after the first leg.

What goes around comes around. (y)

DB9

I don't wish Torquay to go bust but I certainly enjoy their decline as much as their fans were enjoying goading us when we were losing in the playoff games.

It particular pleases me to think of the **** who was shouting in my face that we would never get out of the Conference outside of the Odeon after the first leg.

What goes around comes around. (y)
To be fair that is football banter and we'd be the same if that result went the other way, This however is not football, This seems to me that their current failure on the pitch is being instigated by those off the pitch for their own ends and of course as ever, It's the normal fans who suffer

dontpassback

I would love to see the day the gulls are back in the football league,I can’t imagine how the long term loyal fans are feeling now,what with the clown of a manager and Clark Osborne in charge,Christ I though Russel and Lewis were bad enough but this guy wants to smother the life out of them just like Swindon speedway and Bristol rovers !

To be fair that is football banter and we'd be the same if that result went the other way, This however is not football, This seems to me that their current failure on the pitch is being instigated by those off the pitch for their own ends and of course as ever, It's the normal fans who suffer
And this is football banter too. As I said I don't want them going under but a few more years languishing in non-league will be enjoyable.

DB9

And this is football banter too. As I said I don't want them going under but a few more years languishing in non-league will be enjoyable.
According to their fans they're destined for much lower non-league than the NLS

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Torquay start this season's FA Cup in the second qualifying rounds. They've been drawn away to Lymington Town or Lydney Town.

Grecian2K

Might be the Beeb's chosen game to stream live for R2Q?
(After all, they do have a fondness for "plucky little non-league minnows...and Lymington or Lydney might pique their interest too! ;) )