• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jamie Reid scored tonight to lead the Conference South scoring charts. Not aware of us being in line for a percentage of any sell on fee though. :(
Jamie Reid is now 24, so would be available on a free when his contract expires, which I suspect is next summer.

Very pleased for him. He always looked to be too good for a part time league two levels below League Two where, as a full time pro against part time opponents, it is no surprise that he is capable of scoring goals for fun.

Last edited:

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well done Turks on turning it around by bringing in a quality manager and by supporting your team (more than 400 travelled to Dulwich).

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well done Turks on another 3-1 win

Pete Martin (CTID)

Well done Turks on another 3-1 win
I had decided not to go to Gigg Lane today a while back so took myself down to Plainmoor for the first time in ages. Jamie Reid did not impress today.

Obviously a different level, but a thoroughly entertaining match between the top two teams in front of 2,467.

Last edited:

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I had decided not to go to Gigg Lane today a while back so took myself down to Plainmoor for the first time in ages. Jamie Reid did not impress today.

Obviously a different level, but a thoroughly entertaining match between the top two teams in front of 2,467.
I’ve always felt that our Conference years showed us that if your team is scoring goals, winning games and pushing for promotion then it doesn’t matter what division you are in, the crowds will return and the Matchdays will become something to look forward to and relish

Last edited:
I spent a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon at Twerton Park, watching Bath vs Torquay.

It was one of the most entertaining games I've seen in some time. Bath won 3-2 and deservedly so on the balance of play. Jamie Reid scored, but did very little else. The Torquay player who did impress was Liam Davis, their left-back who looked very comfortable in possession. The standard of football was much higher than when I'd previously watched football of that level of the pyramid. For Bath, Ryan Brunt came on a sub and turned the game - he came on when they were 1-2 down, won a (admittedly soft) penalty, followed by notching the winner with five minutes left.

Also of note was the behaviour of the Torquay fans. When Bath went 1-0 up, a group of Torquay fans charged halfway round a largely empty terrace to brawl with Bath fans over an iron fence, flares at each of their goals and a mob of them swarming through the streets after the game, shouting how they were going do mean things to the Bath fans (not their exact words, but you get the drift). I left Twerton Park and walked into the biggest police presence I've seen post-game in quite some time. I've no idea if this is standard for Torquay, but it's not like they and Bath have extensive history or are that close geographically.

Didn't ruin a darned fine game of football, though.

manc grecian

Isn't there a bit of previous between the blue rinse mob and the bath fans?

Isn't there a bit of previous between the blue rinse mob and the bath fans?
Not that I'm aware of. They last played in 2007, in FA Cup qualifying. I'd have thought any previous would have been long forgotten! From the Bath end, their big rivals are Chippenham, Yeovil, Weston-Super-Mud. I work with a Bath season ticket holder, and he's never mentioned any dislike of the Turks at all.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I spent a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon at Twerton Park, watching Bath vs Torquay.

It was one of the most entertaining games I've seen in some time. Bath won 3-2 and deservedly so on the balance of play. Jamie Reid scored, but did very little else. The Torquay player who did impress was Liam Davis, their left-back who looked very comfortable in possession. The standard of football was much higher than when I'd previously watched football of that level of the pyramid. For Bath, Ryan Brunt came on a sub and turned the game - he came on when they were 1-2 down, won a (admittedly soft) penalty, followed by notching the winner with five minutes left.

Also of note was the behaviour of the Torquay fans. When Bath went 1-0 up, a group of Torquay fans charged halfway round a largely empty terrace to brawl with Bath fans over an iron fence, flares at each of their goals and a mob of them swarming through the streets after the game, shouting how they were going do mean things to the Bath fans (not their exact words, but you get the drift). I left Twerton Park and walked into the biggest police presence I've seen post-game in quite some time. I've no idea if this is standard for Torquay, but it's not like they and Bath have extensive history or are that close geographically.

Didn't ruin a darned fine game of football, though.
That’ll be the Gultras causing trouble, naughty boys.

It’s happening a fair bit. We had idiots causing trouble away at Gloucester and WSM and it was always going to happen at Bath. When you are taking 1200 fans to WSM and 1500 to Bath, the Stone Islanders tend to outnumber their counterparts from the home teams who normally have home gates of less than half the travelling away. We have always a decent away following but it dwarfs anything this league has probably ever seen and our troublemakers know it and are just the big bully kids parading around the infant playground.

The overwhelming majority are just enjoying the ride and loving having something to feel positive about, even if it is at this lowly level. Our crowds are better than some EFL 2 clubs now and there cannot have been many teams below the Championship who took as many supporters away as we did on Saturday.