The Run In

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Other things being equal, it'll be the three that have the deepest squads and fewest injuries and suspensions. If Hiram, Law et al can be fit all through, we have a decent shout.

Jake Taylor has 8 L2 yellows ATM, two more in the next 3 games (the cutoff is now 37 games) and he'll have a 2 game suspension. Mansfield and MK both have 2 players on 8 or 9, Colchester one, FGR Lincoln and Bury none.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions/clubdiscipline?status=0&league=33&club=10600706

Billy The Fish

If Jake has to miss two games suspended I'm pretty confident that we're strong enough in midfield to cope with that and I reckon he should be encouraged to play his normal game and not be inhibited by an impending suspension.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Jake has to miss two games suspended I'm pretty confident that we're strong enough in midfield to cope with that and I reckon he should be encouraged to play his normal game and not be inhibited by an impending suspension.
I'm sure he will. But I'm also sure opposition teams look at these stats too - easy enough to find. He's not on a run of bookings, though, so it's clearly not affecting him - it was the 4 in 5 games before Xmas that made things complicated

Terryhall

12 games to go, current prediction from 538 could leave for a couple of interesting scenarios if it pans out as they predict, with us facing Carlisle in the play off again and possibly MK Franchise (should we both succeed) in the final.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-two/

They still give us 25% chance of outright promotion so all is not lost:D

I still feel that Mansfield may stumble out of the autos
Never come across that website before, very cool stuff - thanks for the link!

denzel

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure he will. But I'm also sure opposition teams look at these stats too - easy enough to find. He's not on a run of bookings, though, so it's clearly not affecting him - it was the 4 in 5 games before Xmas that made things complicated
Why would an opposition player care if one of our players gets a suspension? It won't affect their match

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would an opposition player care if one of our players gets a suspension? It won't affect their match
Because whether we like it or not, gaming cautions is part and parcel of modern football. Players who have been booked or are at at risk of suspension are thought to hold back from tackles that might lead to a yellow card. Or get subbed to avoid a second yellow. Happens all the time that managers sub their best players to avoid this. Often influences the way games are played. Sometimes teams try to manipulate this to make sure any suspension is for an unimportant game - Sergio Ramos anyone?

Red Devon

Well-known Exeweb poster
Eleven game to get to 74 points for a playoff place. the autos have now probably gone.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Eleven game to get to 74 points for a playoff place. the autos have now probably gone.
We're currently on 55 points, so that would mean 19 points from 11 games.

Northampton A
Macclesfield A
Colchester H
Notts County A
Mansfield H
Cheltenham A
Port Vale H
Crawley H
Stevenage A
Oldham H
Forest Green A

I reckon we'll do it, no problem.

grecian-near-hell

I'm with you FBH, although if my feeling is right and Mansfield fall away that would leave the door open for bleeding MK to slip in - bugger (potentially)!!!!

Last edited:

Banksy

Hoping on hope we just scrape into the playoffs , but could be our lack of firepower will do for us.Once in them though anything can happen and I’d fancy our chances at Wembley unlike the past two seasons . Third time lucky and all that.
Out of our control , but what a pity Jayden’s transfer derailed our season a bit goal wise , how we could do with his contributions now , wish we’d splashed out on a decent like for like replacement although I guess such a player would have been hard to find at such short notice.

Oldsmobile-88

Home form in the last 11 games is 14 points out of 33.Away over the same period is exactly the same points tally.

If the Grecians are to definitely make the playoffs the home form will hold the key(improve)at the business end of the season.

IndoMike

A lot of the top ten teams have to play each other and there are the teams fighting for survival at the bottom, so it's going to be a scrap. Here's hoping that Law, Boateng, Moxey and L Martin too can take part in our remaining games. Without their extra bit of class it looks like we're gonna struggle to score.

The Proper Chap

I never expected us to finish in the top three however I'm still confident we will make the play offs.

A lot will depend on Nicky Law though, if he plays in the free role behind the striker I think he can score many more goals.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

For the past 6 years somewhere between 70 and 75 points has guaranteed a play off spot. With 33 points still up for grabs and us needing somewhere between another 15 to 20 points I think we will comfortably make the Play Offs, particularly with the squad getting back towards capacity

IndoMike

For the past 6 years somewhere between 70 and 75 points has guaranteed a play off spot. With 33 points still up for grabs and us needing somewhere between another 15 to 20 points I think we will comfortably make the Play Offs, particularly with the squad getting back towards capacity
Wish I was as confident as you. Think we'll make it but not comfortably..Since when has City done anything comfortably? 1989-1990?