• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

charEXE

Looking at the pitch yesterday and then comparing it to the pitch in the highlights of the boxing game day from last year our current pitch looked a lot worse. After all this investment going into the pitch in the summer - why does the pitch look worse? Surley it should look about the same as we have probably (guess) played more games so far this season however the pitch is meant to be better!!!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was the weather and number of games played in close succession comparable?

charEXE

I think:
By this time last season we had played about 18 games at home (including frendily games, u-18s ect.)
So far this season we have played about 20 games at home (including all above)

On the met office website it states that in the south west in winter last year we had about 643 mm rainfall in total.
I can't find any data for this years so if anyone could so we could compare that would be great.

Antony Moxey

I guess it comes down to when the games were played too, plus non first team games as well. It seems to me (without looking anything up) that we've had quite a few games of late, and quite a bit of rain just before match days too.

Maybe last year we played more games when the pitch was drier so less damage was caused? Maybe also the pitch needs a bit of time to bed in and better weather to bed in too. I don't know though, I'm just guessing!

muppetdodger

Much rain on Daggers day and it will be in a right state for Liverpool, perhaps there is a tactic in this? Also with the Liverpool game coming up we don't want to risk the game being postponed, so we will need to look after the pitch around the daggers game.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Looking at the BBC forecast for Exeter there seems to be a couple of dry days forecast and there is some wind as well, the wet days are partly light rain as well so I would be surprised if it is in any danger. Four days clear to work on it this week , and then five clear days between the 2nd and the 8th. I don't think the condition of our pitch is any cause of concern in relation to what the results are likely to be.

LOG

It wouldn't have been helped by their number 9 repeatedly banging his feet in the same small spot of ground yesterday whilst pretending to be injured.

muppetdodger

I'm surprised Tis hasn't used the pitch as an excuse yet!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It's the next in the cue given the forecast until Saturday's game with Daggers

"They have every right to play there football & the pitch was wet meaning our Barcelona Tikka taka style of play wasn't up to its usual standard

andrew p long

concerns about the cup fixture pile up meaning four home games in ten days at the start of December, that might threaten the condition of the pitch, first voiced here in late November...

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?57042-Cup-fixture-pile-up-and-the-pitch&highlight=