• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Penny Drops.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
A recent one for me. The word 'outlier' is not pronounced as if it were French. It just means lying further out.

The Watford of 'Watford Gap' and 'Anything north of Watford' is a completely different place to The Watford of Elton John and Graham Taylor fame. :x

Swanaldo

On that note - Duck Tape / Duct Tape
There's now a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape, just to confuse the issue.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Took me years to realise that it was "to all intents and purposes" rather than "to all intensive purposes"....a number of people are yet to has this revelation (see also specific/Pacific)

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Took me years to realise that it was "to all intents and purposes" rather than "to all intensive purposes"....a number of people are yet to has this revelation (see also specific/Pacific)
It took me a very long time to work out why Mick was...

Swanaldo

Took me years to realise that it was "to all intents and purposes" rather than "to all intensive purposes"...
Likewise "commoner garden".

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
I used to think a vengeance was one word i.e. that the film was called Die Hard with Avengeance, wrongly assuming that it had something to do with exerting effort rather than exacting revenge. (facepalm)

Spoonz Red E

The first time I had avocados a few years back I tried peeling the skin off like you would a potato or swede before realising it was a cut in half and scoop it out job.

elginCity

For years I’d thought a Boxing announcer was looking at his watch for “seconds out, round......”

Swanaldo

seconds out
*Penny drops.

So I guess it means "everyone except the ref and the two boxers out of the ring please". Well that only took me 43 years to figure out!

Terryhall

That a club sandwich is called a club sandwich because it is Chicken, Lettuce and Bacon.