• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The other one in your life

GJW

For those Exewebbers who support teams as well as ECFC. As you can see from my Avatar I support CCFC as well, since the age of 9 or 10 (1978 ish). Loved the kit at the time. My first replica kit (Admiral). Try to see them 3 or 4 times a season. Started watching Exeter when I was about 22. Have probably watched more Exeter since then but support both teams still.

What other team do you support? Why? And do you get to see them play much?

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was always interested in East Stirlingshire FC after reading a story about their Scottish League place being transferred to Junior(Non League) team Clydebank that happened in 1964.

The club moved lock stock & barrel to New Kilbowie Park,a vast improvement on Firs Park & a lot bigger attendances due to the new council estates being built on the Clyde.

The team were called ES Clydebank,lasted one season because the Shareholders of The Shire went to court & won,so moved back to Falkirk & Firs Park.
Clydebank were eventually elected to the Scottish League in their own right in 1967.

I travelled to Firs Park for a midweek fixture in 2005,a long old drag from Exeter..I have also seen them play at Stenhousemuir after they left Firs Park in 2008.
Still look out for their results even though they have dropped out of the SFL( won 5-1 at Berwick yesterday in a Lowland League game)

They have a wonderful colourful history of failure,summed up on one occasion when they signed a Norwegian player in the mistaken belief that Norway were in the EU & he would not need a work permit 😁.

CityTillIDie

My other team is spurs because of where I am originally from, however living in Exeter basically my whole life City takes the top spot. For people like us who ‘have another one‘ who would you prefer to win if they played each other? It’s got to be city for me..

Oldsmobile-88

I followed Leeds from about 1970 for a few years as a kid & still I suppose have a soft spot for them now.

I found it incredulous when the Grecians played at Elland Rd.Something I thought I would never see in a league game & was ecstatic when they were defeated at SJP.I found that more satisfying than beating Argyle.

Mr Jinx

Arsenal

...although the affair is on the wane at the moment given their current malaise. Back in the day, tickets for the Emirates were like gold dust. Now they can't even give them away. A truly sorry state of affairs.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't "support" any side other than City.

There are a few I profess to following with various degrees of interest - my Dad was (and is) a big Man United fan, so in the 80s when you either loved or detested Liverpool I was in the latter camp. I also used to go to a lot of Everton's London games in the early 90s with an Everton-supporting schoolmate, so have a soft spot for them (I then dragged him along to a City match - we lost 0-5 at Leyton Orient so he wasn't invited again!).

I also follow a couple of local non-league sides - been to Hampton & Richmond a few times, while a mate's son plays for Ashford Town (Middx) so I keep tabs on them. A lad who used to play under me (Cricket) is at Leatherhead so I look out for them as well.

Leads

I've got quite a few! Dad's side of the family are Notts County fans so they are definitely my second team. In fact, I have been to more Notts games than Exeter this season. When the teams play each other and I attend I go in the away end. It was possible that the teams would meet in the L2 play off final a couple of years back and then I would have had a decision to make. I used to support Liverpool as a kid and still have a bit of a soft spot for them- I will be very happy when they finally win the league. I went through a period of watching Doncaster a lot around 2010/11 so I still keep an eye out for them. I went to Uni in Leeds and worked at Elland Road. I like going to Leeds games as their support is something else but it's very hard to get tickets. Mum's side of the family are Catholic so having a soft sport for Celtic is pretty much obligatory!

i8cornwall

the future league two club Bolton Wanderers is the only other club I’d say I really support.

grecIAN Harris

I started following Newcastle in 96 just after I met the missus. Rugby is king in her family and as Newcastle were playing the most attacking, attractive football anywhere in Europe at the time who better to try and turn her head. It worked for a while but as things started to wane so did my missus interest in football.
I keep an eye out for a few other teams that I used to watch regularly because they were close by when Dad was in the RAF, namely Peterborough, Kettering and Bangor City and I've always kept an eye on who the Accies (that Hamilton Academical for you numbskull idiots who think the Accies are Accrington Stanley) are getting on as they have been close to my heart for my inability to pronounce them properly when I was a tacker.

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

Brought up Catholic so always have an eye out for Celts, but my other team is Levante Union Deportiva from the fair city of Valencia.