• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The next step

Yes Crocks,this is my point really.If we can't/won't redevelop at present then lets tidy it up a bit.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Seems to me that the OG is even more of a wreck this season. One of the window panels (end nearest BB) was taken out very early on in the season. Parts of the roof/ceiling have girt big cracks in them. Ivy is growing through the corrugated sheets.......if it gets throiugh H&S for next season, it will be a miracle.
I hope the club is not forced into a financial dilemma due to the OG (or parts of) possibly being condemned in the near future. I've always thought that if in general terms something needs regular upkeep and maintenance, "paint it every 2 years" and it will for go on indefinitely........"do nothing to maintain" and you can expect it to fall apart and have to be completely rebuilt sooner than you expect.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope the club is not forced into a financial dilemma due to the OG (or parts of) possibly being condemned in the near future.
This is I agree the downside risk - as I alluded in referring to what Julian Tagg said.

Redevelopment of the away end would be nice, but keeping the OG in a state where the powers that be don't condemn it is MUCH for important

ecfctis

So how many times have we sold our away allocation in recent years ?

The OG is old and tatty but Shirley not decrepit and is ceratinly not too small, we couldn't even sell out the ground for the Gargs.
Therein lies our problem imho.

Whilst Tis can probably strenghten his squad with some astute signings - the Ecfc reputation is growing slowly but surely to attract others of quality - and he can further improve players and performance, at the end of the day he and the club have little affect on the attendances - appart from winning!
Our support base can be very fickle, just look at the poor run in January and February, and where the crowds dropped to less than 3.5k.
With no benefactor, our average gates in our best season is around 5,300.
Yes we have had some disappointing defeats, but we have also seen some of the best football produced ever, nearly returned to Wembley - and perhaps should have - but where are our casual supporters.
With an average gate of 5,300 we apparently just break even/have a slight profit.

Getting an average gate of between 7-8,000 is what will help us get into the Championship and STAY THERE, and to progress on.
IMHO all the rest are side issues. As a Trust run club our own supporters must be the driving force behind a lengthy stay in the CCC.

This is why we as a club do not need a ground capacity of much more than 10 or 11k, because it would be half full/empty most of the time.

Go to Wembley and yes we take 30k, but where is the bulk of that 30k for the normal seasons home fixtures..........!!!

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
When talking about numbers of away supporters attending matches at SJP, next season will not be any better....Plymouth, Brighton, Southampton, Bristol Rovers, Swindon all gone (Brizzle almost certain) and maybe Bournemouth. These teams were the only ones apart from Charlton, Sheffield Weds and Yeovil to bring over 500 in the league (Swindon were under but have the ability to bring that sort of number). How many will Scunthorpe, Preston, Chesterfield, Bury, Wycome??? bring, I guess far less than those teams departing our league (Sheff Utd being an exception I hope).

I think our away end is very, very poor in comparison to away ends at other grounds in our league, which can be a little "embarrassing" when bigger clubs visit, if you know what I mean BUT the OG should take priority.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
no doubt the away end is poor but it looks better when it is full to capacity. probably still quite expensive but if we can't build a stand there in near future could we use the flat area plus existing terrace to create a larger terraced area with a slightly steeper rake covering the whole of the space. we could then fit in possibly 500 more away fans to those who are likely to fill the end, or put an uncovered temporary stand in the space giving us same capacity but then able to charge away fans a bit more.

on old grandstand side if it can stay operational it doesn't look too bad pitch side but would benefit from the back being painted, presume the offices at the side are now disused. could they be stripped out and put down a small area of terracing for a few hundred more spaces?

on playing side not an expectation but we could challenge for a play off spot if we can keep this squad mainly together with some more good new signings.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
on old grandstand side if it can stay operational it doesn't look too bad pitch side but would benefit from the back being painted, presume the offices at the side are now disused. could they be stripped out and put down a small area of terracing for a few hundred more spaces?
A standing area to the side of the pitch at SJP?

You have got me all excited now at the thought of it.

Trouble is, I suspect, in terns of getting people out of the ground quickly it would be the same as extending the Big Bank, as everyone would have to use the Jungle Path. If it was feasible, which it probably isn't IMO as I doubt we could get a grant for a trerrace, it would be great.