• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The New Proposed Academy System

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
How would this effect City, and is it good for the future of the game?

Personally, the sooner the "big clubs" f*ck off and leave the real sport to the likes of us, the better.

But like I say, that's my personal view.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Similar thoughts from the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/14/football-league-scrap-youth-schemes?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

What the Premier League wants, the Premier League gets? The FA are too meek to stand up to them.

I don't believe centring it on Premiership clubs is good for the youngsters or for football. I think we already see Premiership clubs soaking up talent, e.g. having squads of 65 players (pointless when only 25 can be named). They would do this with youngsters as well.

Which would a youngster choose? On Man Utd's books or on Citys? Probably not us, though I think we would be the better choice as more likely to get first team football.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
You only need to look at Andy Taylor to see what a youngster would choose...

The 90 minute rule has always been b*ll*cks anyway. They just pay to move the whole family lock, stock and barrel.

I think, and I don't know the intricacies of our system, that it just means we have to be more and more innovative and concentrate on quality, not quantity.

It's about packaging everything up as a unique brand and marketing it.

ecfc01

You only need to look at Andy Taylor to see what a youngster would choose...

The 90 minute rule has always been b*ll*cks anyway. They just pay to move the whole family lock, stock and barrel.

I think, and I don't know the intricacies of our system, that it just means we have to be more and more innovative and concentrate on quality, not quantity.

It's about packaging everything up as a unique brand and marketing it.
This is awfull for the lower leagues, it also means when we wont be able to bring up youngsters to sell on. I can see this ending a few clubs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I just wonder whether all this is for the middle class kids. The ones with the parents that can afford to pay all the fees, drive them all around the county to games, and will push for them to be in an academy.

Would Tony Kellow have been in an academy? I doubt it. Would we still have picked him out of non league football? Hmm.....

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Typical of the people at the top of the game forgetting the roots of football. When are they f*cking off into their European super league anyway?

Shouldn't be allowed to happen but no doubt it will.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Typical of the people at the top of the game forgetting the roots of football. When are they f*cking off into their European super league anyway?

Shouldn't be allowed to happen but no doubt it will.
Jayne, just this once, and only this once, I'll let myself agree with you completely.

They've killed the sport in this country.

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jayne, just this once, and only this once, I'll let myself agree with you completely.

They've killed the sport in this country.
Shut up SPanky you agree with me all the time, you just can't bring yourself ot admit it!

But yes they certainly have. I used ot be of the belief that the moiney they brought in filtered down to the likes of us but it clearly doesn't and you just know the Premiership would be happy to kill the lower leagues off if they could.

ecfc01

Shut up SPanky you agree with me all the time, you just can't bring yourself ot admit it!

But yes they certainly have. I used ot be of the belief that the moiney they brought in filtered down to the likes of us but it clearly doesn't and you just know the Premiership would be happy to kill the lower leagues off if they could.
I'm not one to talk but what's moiney? :)

Last edited: