• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The History Thread

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just to say that the new Netflix documentary on the Cold War (called No Turning Back) is excellent and well worth watching.

Bridgy 81

I was in St Albans yesterday (or Verulamium in Roman times).
I only had time for a fairly quick look around so went into their cathedral.
Oldest site of continuous Christian worship in Britain apparently, 1,700 years.
Also it stands where Alban, Britain’s first saint, was buried.
He refused to denounce Christianity, so was beheaded.
Next time I’m in the area I’ll go to their Roman Museum which looks very interesting as well.

Phil Sayers

Just to say that the new Netflix documentary on the Cold War (called No Turning Back) is excellent and well worth watching.
Apologies, not called that at all - called 'Turning Point'.

Oldsmobile-88

Apologies, not called that at all - called 'Turning Point'.
Wondered why I couldn’t find it 😁😁

lamrobhero

My daily routine is to read the main page of wikipedia. Imagine my excitement when the main story on Monday was a piece of Exeter history that I had never heard of:
The Order of Brothelyngham was a group of men who, in the mid-14th century, formed themselves into a fake religious order in the city of Exeter, England. They may well have been satirising the church, which was commonly perceived as corrupt. ... The men of this fake order dressed as monks, and supposedly elected a madman to rule them as their abbot, possibly from a theatrical stage or throne. ... The Brothelynghamite Order caused much trouble in Exeter, regularly emerging from their base—which may have been some form of medieval theatre, or other area of public entertainment—and terrorising the citizens. Bearing their "Abbot" aloft before them, on a mockery of a cathedra, they kidnapped locals whom they held for ransom. They also practised extortion. It is possible that, notwithstanding these activities, they saw themselves as theatrical players rather than criminals.

This is the sort of 'alternative' history I like :)

Colesman Ballz

My daily routine is to read the main page of wikipedia. Imagine my excitement when the main story on Monday was a piece of Exeter history that I had never heard of:
The Order of Brothelyngham was a group of men who, in the mid-14th century, formed themselves into a fake religious order in the city of Exeter, England. They may well have been satirising the church, which was commonly perceived as corrupt. ... The men of this fake order dressed as monks, and supposedly elected a madman to rule them as their abbot, possibly from a theatrical stage or throne. ... The Brothelynghamite Order caused much trouble in Exeter, regularly emerging from their base—which may have been some form of medieval theatre, or other area of public entertainment—and terrorising the citizens. Bearing their "Abbot" aloft before them, on a mockery of a cathedra, they kidnapped locals whom they held for ransom. They also practised extortion. It is possible that, notwithstanding these activities, they saw themselves as theatrical players rather than criminals.

This is the sort of 'alternative' history I like :)
There's one born every minute ! 🤪

lamrobhero

There's one born every minute ! 🤪
:D

The idea that it was an April Fool did not cross my mind.

But the page is still up with a lot of impressive sounding references

iscalad

:D

The idea that it was an April Fool did not cross my mind.

But the page is still up with a lot of impressive sounding references
Indeed. I have read about this slice of Exeter history before.

Spoonz Red E

Indeed. I have read about this slice of Exeter history before.
Mentioned in this book back in 2007.