• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The florets joke at the Edinburgh festival.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
So where do we stand? Olaf tells the joke and wins the best joke at the fringe prize..;
"I keep randomly shouting out 'brocolli' and 'cauliflower '. I think I have florets!
Now the tourettes society has demanded an apology.
Are ANY jokes actually possible anymore without someone demanding an apology and telling us to feel guilty about smirking or chuckling at what is a play on words? In fact is taking offence the new norm?

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The story

geoffwp

That's right Hants. Is there anything left worth a laugh? Did Olafs joke actually take the Mickey out of tourettes or did he use the condition to create something different? Is there a ginger society somewhere to protect me from red hair jokes?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That's right Hants. Is there anything left worth a laugh? Did Olafs joke actually take the Mickey out of tourettes or did he use the condition to create something different? Is there a ginger society somewhere to protect me from red hair jokes?
I suppose with a surname of Falafel then being a comedian is one of the few jobs left.

* switches off the reporting tool. :(

geoffwp

Strangely enough though true , I had felafels this evening. Perhaps it was a portent.

IndoMike

So where do we stand? Olaf tells the joke and wins the best joke at the fringe prize..;
"I keep randomly shouting out 'brocolli' and 'cauliflower '. I think I have florets!
Are ANY jokes actually possible anymore without someone demanding an apology and telling us to feel guilty about smirking or chuckling at what is a play on words? In fact is taking offence the new norm?
I just don't think it's a funny joke. "Florets", "tourettes": the words are too dissimilar to be a clever word play. Carp joke. Must be BREXIT affecting the British sense of humour

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
There is someone out there to take offence at every joke ever spoken , We live in the age of the millennial generation who love a cause !

Swanaldo

I'd tell them to **** off.

Swanaldo

Perceived offense notwithstanding, it's simply not a very good joke. I could find three funnier, better-crafted gags in the last dozen posts on the Did You Know thread. And these Fringe jokers are meant to be professionals :unsure:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed the joke barely raised a smile with me, but offensive? FFS.