• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The End of an Era

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Billy Mcdevitt (1929-35) can stake a claim to be City's greatest manager (6th rd FA Cup and high finishes in Div 3 South) I feel Tiz rightly wins given the regionalised nature of football back then and the FACT that Tiz inherited our club after 50 years of continual decline
I can't have that Fred, regionalised or not we were one spot off going into the Second Division with pretty much the same clubs around, last season we were six short.

"50 years of continual decline" ?

Didn't we achieve three promotions and win the only proper trophy we have ever won during that period ?

Certainly there were periods of decline and the ten years prior to our slipping into the Conference were ten of our worst, but "50 years of continual decline" ? I rather think not.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I felt that at the end of last season it was more the 'end of an era' than this season.

Poultice

I felt that at the end of last season it was more the 'end of an era' than this season.
Why............. ?

Grecian1966

I can't have that Fred, regionalised or not we were one spot off going into the Second Division with pretty much the same clubs around, last season we were six short.

"50 years of continual decline" ?

Didn't we achieve three promotions and win the only proper trophy we have ever won during that period ?

Certainly there were periods of decline and the ten years prior to our slipping into the Conference were ten of our worst, but "50 years of continual decline" ? I rather think not.
Alright Poults 50 years was conservative - how's about 70 years of decline;) I was talking about the bigger picture and whilst we had occasional blips our performance graph has been downward I would argue pretty much ever since the 1930's? The difficulty with the comparison to the regionalised leagues is that it was an amalgam of the bottom two divisions so if last season we had been playing Torquay, Hereford et al i'm sure we would have finished higher than 8th you would agree?

Poultice

The difficulty with the comparison to the regionalised leagues is that it was an amalgam of the bottom two divisions so if last season we had been playing Torquay, Hereford et al i'm sure we would have finished higher than 8th you would agree?
No wouldn't.

I also wouldn't necessarily disagree, if we were going deep on this one we should have to take account of differing levels of performance at all levels, above and below that which we were at.

There is nowhere near sufficient information to be able to form a definitive view, just because there was less money available back in the day and the general set up could be described as less professional that does not preclude the need to consider all comparative aspects involved.

I would venture to suggest the fact that we got so close to both Wembley and the Second division in that one season suggests we were at that time far closer in terms of ability and support to the side which won the first division than we currently are to Manchester United. The contra to that is of course to suggest that the achievement of getting where we are in an environment where so many other clubs are so much better resourced is a greater one.

Bottom line, it is what it is, never caring about bucking a trend I still think 1931 was as high as we have been in the overall scheme of things, should last season prove to have been base building and we kick on to achieve promotion again in the next couple of years I shall, god willing, gratefully accede to your judgement.

denny

Only way is up

ECFC Music

Well we are not at the pinnacle of our achievement, 2nd in 3rd South is our highest position, FACT !
QUOTE]

Yeah why does everyone posting on here seem to think the 2010/2011 season was our highest finish? Presumably because they were not born or more likely haven't checked the facts and merely repeated someone's inaccurate statement.

Grecian1966

Well we are not at the pinnacle of our achievement, 2nd in 3rd South is our highest position, FACT !
QUOTE]

Yeah why does everyone posting on here seem to think the 2010/2011 season was our highest finish? Presumably because they were not born or more likely haven't checked the facts and merely repeated someone's inaccurate statement.
As you have now done Mr Music! Poults and I traded opinion neither of us can legitimately use the word FACT due to the incomparisons between the two era's? Bit like saying Stanley Matthews was the best winger of all time - FACT. Poults makes an excellent argument for 1931 however scientific proof isn't available;)

Chris Phillips

All football teams come to the end of their eras -the managerial challenge is to develop new eras and Tisdale / Perryman have more than successfully improved each season.

The challenge for the supporters is to create a new era.

With all professional football clubs, finance is a (if not, the) key element.

Our ownership model is well understood by most supporters and Trust members. Simplistically, it's down to us and the Club to generate income, either via match day numbers, increased Trust membership, improved commercial income or ideally, a combination of all three.

A potential limiting factor on our progress will be income growth and we therefore have to encourage more supporters to turn up for games through the season. On occasions, last season, I was disappointed with the size of crowd, given where we had climbed to, the style of football we were playing and our potential for achieving good results.

My hope is that next season, crowd numbers increase, generating more income, providing capacity for management to attract better players and increasing our prospects for promotion to a division, which during my time supporting the club (first game FA cup home Walsall 1969) seemed complete folly mostly but now seems a genuine prospect.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
We improved when Moxey left
We improved when Gill left
We improved when Friend left

And I'm sure we'll improve now Harley has gone.