• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin looking to ruin another non-league club

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This lot play at the the huge Darlington Arena Stadium. Thought it might have been bulldozed!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Poor Romford. For it's them that he had taken over.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This lot play at the the huge Darlington Arena Stadium. Thought it might have been bulldozed!

Ironically they've swapped places with Darlington, who now play at the Rugby ground.

Legohead

Banned
I think Darlo had to play in Bishop Auckland for quite a few years after reforming before getting the ground they play in now.

I don't quite understand why they couldn't groundshare with Mowden Park given they are the towns number one football club.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The costs did put them into administration, three times ! The last time was the killer, resulting in the formation of Darlington 1883 "phoenix" club, and ground share with Shildon, They regularly had gates of 1500-2000 in a 25,000 seater so it was pretty soul less. Ironically there was a 10k limit on the Stadium for Football matches, due to Planning Regulations because of poor access roads. I recall talking to Darlington reps at a Supporters Direct conference, they couldn't wait to get out of George Reynolds "Folly".

Legohead

Banned
I went to that arena a couple of times with Torquay. One of the most bizarre experiences I've had in football. An absolute cavernous 25, 000 seater stadium and yet just 3,000 fans inside. Both the side stands were unused and you had a small pocket of Darlo fans behind the goal at one end and an even smaller pocket of Torquay fans behind the other! We could barely see one another across the pitch.

Colesman Ballz

Busy first day at Romford, sacked the entire management team, signed fifteen players and installed himself as manager !

Oldsmobile-88

Ha...A missed penalty at Nuneaton brings a light down.

Oldsmobile-88

Not non league. A great report from April 1975 on Nationwide about the guy that fished the ball out of the river at Gay Meadow during games.