• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rochdale only survived over Altrincham by one vote!

Indeed..Rochdale looked certs to go..Two teams that promised Alty their votes missed the election meeting.

Alty never really recovered from that.They had put a lot of time & money into the election bid.

Oldsmobile-88

Wigan were the last team to be elected into the FL at the expense of Southport in 1978.Which owed much to Southport not bothering to canvass other FL clubs(the chairman was daft) & Sir Alf Ramsey championing the Wigan cause & making sure all Midlands clubs(he was Birmingham manager at the time) voted for Wigan.
It was a tight vote both clubs had 26 votes,Bath had 23 & were eliminated for the vote off,which sealed Southports fate as a FL club.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was a crazy afternoon.
There was aggro on the Station at Woking.
The Police were called at Basingstoke station,surrounded the train for about a hour,before decamping the other passengers,filming all Exeter followers(& taking names iirc) before sending the train non stop to Honiton with a load of plod on board..!!
A surreal day all round..
Was that the day we got locked in the Wetherspoons in Woking?

Oldsmobile-88

Was that the day we got locked in the Wetherspoons in Woking?
Probably...The late PC Underhill had his camera filming everyone & everything,including me eating my breakfast :D..I think he got my good side..I was thinking of applying for a Equity card the amount of times I saw that camera !!

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sounds about right, I think I got the train down from London with the exiles and we were greeted by Aldershot(?) supporting scrotes at Woking station.
We were then herded into a Wetherspoons and locked in by Underpants and chums with a very bemused looking Dr Treharne in there with us who at the time was the club chairman (I think). ‘Club chairman locked in pub pre match with hooligans’ it had all the makings of a Daily Mail story.

Great times those conference days.

Grecian2K

Our chums down at the mouth of the Exe seem to have got off to a pretty solid start in their new league. Two wins out of two plus an FA Cup win against a higher ranked team.
Toughie away to Yate in the next round of the FAC though.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Results on that first Saturday.

Bangor City 3-2 AP Leamington
Barrow 2-0 Yeovil Town
Boston United 3-2 Bath City
Maidstone United 2-0 Scarborough
Northwich Victoria 1-0 Redditch United
Nuneaton Borough 2-1 Barnet
Telford United 1-2 Gravesend & Northfleet
Stafford Rangers 0-0 Kettering Town
Worcester City 2-1 Wealdstone
Weymouth 0-0 Altrincham

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
New owner for Bangor City FC, but Vaughan still involved

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A winning start to the season for AFC Bangor City, a new supporter owned club

Oldsmobile-88

Works teams have always fascinated me..Prescot cables FC.Cammel Laird,A P Lemington & Vauxhall Motors.
One team,Lovells Athletic a works team from Newport even applied for election to the FL in 1948.
Newport County ceased playing at the outbreak of WW2 & Lovells enhanced their playing staff from County & competed in the Football League West for the 42/43 season,becoming champions over the likes of Cardiff Swansea & Bristol City.
They finished above MU in the Wartime League Cup & on a par with Liverpool.
It all ended with the FL stating again in 46/47 & their guest players returning to their parent clubs(Newport County were then in the 2nd Division)
Lovells were in the Southern League when they made their unsuccessful application for the FL.
The record crowd was 10,000 for a 3rd round game with Wolves,Billy Wright & all in 1946/47.
They were in the Southern League until 1959,then the Welsh League.
The club folded in 1969.