• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: The Conference thread

Good video of Saturday's shoot out from behind the goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC0ICDJiR9M
Great video that, captures the moment really well

[y]

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster

and another ten non league clubs - Kettering, Bath, FGR etc
I should just like to point out that Ebbsfleet United are nobody's etcetera.

Geddin the Fleet.

Oldsmobile-88

With two more non league clubs going up and two more proper league clubs coming down, the Conference is looking more and more like the fourth division of days gone by
During the 2008-09 season,i watched Crawley at Weymouth & AFC Wimbledon at Dorchester.If anyone had said to me then,that those two teams would be in the FL in just over 2 years time, i would have questioned their sanity!!...

les.gtfc

During the 2008-09 season,i watched Crawley at Weymouth & AFC Wimbledon at Dorchester.If anyone had said to me then,that those two teams would be in the FL in just over 2 years time, i would have questioned their sanity!!...
Will you please come to one of our away games next season mate. ;)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Not worth starting a new thread for it, a blog summary of how many of the trust owned clubs got on in the past season

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=12833

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster

Not worth starting a new thread for it, a blog summary of how many of the trust owned clubs got on in the past season

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=12833
A cracking and fascinating read that thanks Paul

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

One new trust owned club on the way? Looks like Wrexham will be sold to their supporters. No news on whether that'll include the ground though. Will be great news for the fans if it happens.

Oldsmobile-88

Will you please come to one of our away games next season mate. ;)
Probably Braintree. :D...Though after my visit to Fleetwood,i don't know how much luck i will bring to The Mariners..;)

Grecian2K

By the same token though Russ, the same could have applied if, during the previous season, someone had said that, within 3 years City would have been missing out on the playoffs to the CHAMPIONSHIP by just a couple of friggin points!

And if you'd thrown in the prospect of beating the likes of Leeds United, The Scummers plus Charlton Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday (both twice) along the way - well, fetch the straightjacket please Nursey :D

Last edited:

Grecian2K

May have been put on here in the past, but ain't this gem from the (soon to be late lamented) Conf-forums the truth! :D

Blue Square Premier timetable : Season by Season ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) Season 1: (Arrogance and Disdain)

All posts should include at least one of the following:

"We'll **** this Tinpot league"
"We've won it before, we'll win it again"
"We're the Arsenal of the conference"
"If this was a boxing match it would have been stopped by now"
“We would have been a mid table L2 side without the points deduction”
"We're the biggest side ever to be down here"

Disdainfully ignore any discussion of "properness" since it doesn't apply to you - after all, you're going straight back up anyway. Any blips in form should be dismissed as "The trouble is that we're a cup final for all the other teams".

Repeatedly point out how no-one will be able to accommodate all your travelling fans, and how you'll be taking "at least 1,000" to every game.

In reality aim to slide back into the league like a cat burglar sneaking in through the back door by winning the playoffs.

Always blame the fact you’re down here on a previous regime.

Under no circumstances should you ever admit to wanting to win an FA Trophy game.

B) Season 2-3 (Denial and Bitterness)

Desperately club together with other teams in this status - remember the only dignity you have left to cling to is that you're not the only ones sliding gently into abyss. Refer to yourselves as "Proper" and talk of once having played United/Forest/Chlesea, or having once played at Wembley or how many FA Cup semi finals you’ve played in. Pretend not to know any Blue Square North or South teams.

If any non "Proper" teams threatens to win the league immediately claim financial irregularities (you may of course feel free to ignore any of your own gross financial mismanagement and debt at this point). Always ridicule the support of the 'tinpot' team winning promotion back to the league, even if their average is in fact, very little different from your own. Make sure that you convince yourself it's only the fact that they had money to spend that has done it, and ignore the fact that you couldn't do it when your budget was one of the biggest.

Try and slip in that “your natural level is L1/Championship” as often as possible

The important thing during this phase is to deflect all attention from the fact that you're still stuck in this crap league. Pretend you aren't really there at all, and refer to yourself as a league team. If cornered, always blame some previous regime for the predicament you find yourselves in.

Express delight at going out of the FA Trophy when secretly you were hoping for a day out at Wembley

C) Season 4-5 (Resignation and Reality)

Post jauntily about finishing sixth or just avoiding relegation as though you really aren't that bothered about it. After two successive defeats proclaim authoratively "we're as good as down" , so then a 1-0 against 10 man Hayes can then be portrayed as "turning the corner"

This is your window of opportunity to sneak back up.

If you get to the FA trophy final, pretend to go reluctantly, when secretly you’re really excited about the prospect.

However, you must keep up some pretence, so you must still refuse to accept any other BSP team as your rivals, claiming the real 'scum' are some L1/Championship team, who in reality you will never play again and who have forgotten that you even exist.

D) Season 6 onwards. (Disappear gracefully)

The point of no return. Try at least doing it gracefully like Southport, not Barrow.

You might as well try and win the FA Trophy now.
Thank ECf*ck we managed (just) to avoid D) :D
(Mind you, we NEVER quite managed to win the FA Trophy, did we? :$)