• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

That Gap - What to do?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that’s actually a reasonable question Pete which I hope somebody can answer, if nothing else to put the subject to bed for the foreseeable.

I’m assuming it mainly revolves around creating a platform and routing cables under the edge of the pitch/path.

Bill makes a good point about the low sun though.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Leave it as it is and worry about something more important. I think both things are way down the list of the club’s, Trust’s and majority of fans’ priorities.

fred binneys head

FBH time you grew up with name calling posters.
My mum says I’m grown up already, so there.

PeteUSA

Leave it as it is and worry about something more important. I think both things are way down the list of the club’s, Trust’s and majority of fans’ priorities.
I dont know whats more important than the image the club projects by not switching the cameras. Quite honestly I think the way it is now looks awful for the people watching on TV etc. And as I understand it, its relatively easy to rectify.

fred binneys head

You’ve had three pages - your OP asked for the concensus. You’ve got it. Move on.

Antony Moxey

I dont know whats more important than the image the club projects by not switching the cameras. Quite honestly I think the way it is now looks awful for the people watching on TV etc. And as I understand it, its relatively easy to rectify.
Depends on what image you think the club is projecting. Personally I think it’s a decent image - the stand looks fine as does the away end with the ground now looking comparable to a number of L2 and L1 grounds. I certainly don’t think when people are watching highlight reels they all suddenly point and laugh when goals from our home games are shown.

As for the camera position itself, it’s about 15 feet above the highest seats in the main stand. I don’t think it would be a simple job to replicate that position on the other side of the pitch, not least of which would be rerouting all the cabling. For me it’s a difficulty not worth the effort to try and solve as it’s a lot of work for no gain.

The gap itself is not a big deal, it’s just a quirk of a lower league ground that’s got a corner sliced off it and I’d suggest if the club did commit what undoubtedly would be substantial funds to rectify it then people would be wondering why we’re spending so much on infrastructure instead of investing in the squad.

The ground is fine, it’s now time to let Matt Taylor have a slice of the pie.

AlanDevlin

I put this to a friend of mine who has just retired from the technical side of Sky Spirts. His answer was that the current position has the camera with the sun behind it, meaning the natural light the camera sees on the pitch is of far better quality, and a total absence of flare from the sun if the cameras were to be switched to the other side. It makes the Producer’s life so much easier apparently.

The aesthetics of the background are a minor consideration when planning sports broadcasts.

PeteUSA

You’ve had three pages - your OP asked for the concensus. You’ve got it. Move on.
I didnt draft up my sincere polite OP just for you to do what you're best at - disrupt a thread. You move on, or move over! Let people who are politely sharing their valuable views continue to contribute. Stop dragging the thread off topic with your own shortsited views - Muppet!

PeteUSA

I put this to a friend of mine who has just retired from the technical side of Sky Spirts. His answer was that the current position has the camera with the sun behind it, meaning the natural light the camera sees on the pitch is of far better quality, and a total absence of flare from the sun if the cameras were to be switched to the other side. It makes the Producer’s life so much easier apparently.

The aesthetics of the background are a minor consideration when planning sports broadcasts.
Thanks for that Alan. I dont understand the issue with the sun (as outlined by Red Bill). Its beyond me as to what problem the sun would be. Surely modern day cameras cope with the 'light into dark' issue that used to plague camerawork back in the 60's.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope the cameras focus on "the gap" more in future, just to annoy Pete as he sits in his armchair.

90 minutes of exhilarating gap action. Sign me up!