• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Mansfield

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A football team does not consist of picking a defence then the 6 most skilful midfield and attaching players and then trying to work out where they should all line up.

I would argue that at our level and with a back 4 you need someone sitting in front of the defence in all games, home and away. It just frees up the more attack-minded players to go forward and gives better balance. Tillson is clearly on form the best person in our squad at performing that role. Ergo, he should generally be one of the first names on the team sheet unless the manager has a specific plan to counter a specific opposition team.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The stats show that Holmes does. In the last three games away at Mansfield he has played twice; once starting and once coming on as sub. He scored in both of those games!

( though I am with you that some games- the 4-3 away win at Cheltenham a couple of years back for example - can see the defensive side of Holmes game somewhat exposed)
There's no doubt that Holmes can be a real asset when on song. Is he on song enough?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pym
Sweeney, Martin, Moxy Croll
Holmes, Law, Tillson, Taylor, Boetang
Stockley

Oliver

I wouldn't make him an automatic, unquestioned first choice, as no player should be really, but i said before Notts Co that i thought he should play, all the time thinking at the back of my mind that it was a bit negative seeing as we were at home to a side who'd had a terrible start. I just think that we have a great range of attacking options and they shouldn't be hamstrung by having to share that with defensive duties. That's not to say that they shouldn't provide some cover, defend from the front and all that, but i just feel more comfortable having someone like Tillson there to do all of the dirty stuff behind them, and someone who's quite happy to stick to that.
I don't think their should be any automatic shoo-in to the starting line up because he is the captain, if he is not playing all that well he too should be having some bench time along with our lad from Brentford, and Abrahams and Lee Martin.

Red Devon

With Taylor’s attacking mentality Tilly will have to make way for Jono there’s no other way...Croll for Woody...the rest the same as Notts County

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The only way Forte plays is if we drop either Holmes, Boateng or Law.

Mansfield is a tough place to go and we will need a dog in midfield like Tillson otherwise we will get overrun.

STURTZ

Mansfield is a tough place to go and we will need a dog in midfield like Tillson otherwise we will get overrun.
I agree! beginning to think we should play Boateng until HT then bring on Forte.

Red Devon

Think he’ll start as MT isn’t going to give up on his “running” team mentality.

Corey

I expect the team to be:
Pym
Sweeney Martin Croll Moxey
Tilson
Taylor Boateng
Holmes Stockley Law
Pym
Sweeney, Martin, Moxy Croll
Holmes, Law, Tillson, Taylor, Boetang
Stockley
Both correct.

Colesman Ballz

Both correct.
Not quite either of them. TILLSON and BOATENG ffs !