• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tagg's Trust AGM speech - 3 option

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
....Also we don't want the club chucking hundreds of thousands of quid away to hire "consultants", pay for feasibility studies, and cough up all the other monies that the various "experts" demand for doing basically fark all.
One of the biggest scams in this country..Money for old rope.

Most of the ‘experts’ are experts in stating the bleeding obvious.

IndoMike

One of the biggest scams in this country..Money for old rope.

Most of the ‘experts’ are experts in stating the bleeding obvious.
All they provide is a load of old b+ll sh+t which is either "bleeding obvious" or wrong.
Gets my goat to see money thrown away at these purveyors of nothingness".

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As far as I'm concerned we have missed the boat. I believe that when Ivor was still in charge this topic was discussed. There was a perfect piece of land available within the City borders but nothing was done. That site would have been perfect
Not quite true - when we're financially screwed in the mid-90's we looked at building a new stadium in Matford, near the Devon Hotel roundabout which, thankfully, the City Council denied us planning permission for.

IndoMike

I'm thinking about another site within the City borders. My dad was a business friend of Ivor and it was discussed. But as I said, it was not taken any further.

Andy_H

Not quite true - when we're financially screwed in the mid-90's we looked at building a new stadium in Matford, near the Devon Hotel roundabout which, thankfully, the City Council denied us planning permission for.
Exactly, it is/was where the garages sales rooms are now and required millions of pounds worth of ground works/drainage to make it usable for anything, far more than we could ever have afforded, even with any form of 'backers' or co-investment.
The idea building anything at The Science Park is, in my opinion, a complete non starter. Any developer is going to get a far greater return on their investment from commercial use, than a football stadium. It would also, possibly, preclude any joint development as the attraction of a conference centre/hotel on an industrial estate would be pretty low.
Exeter is ever expanding, you only have to drive in from Broadclyst/M5, as an example, to see just how many new housing estates are springing up almost daily. It'll extend as far as Taunton before too long!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I personally don't want to move from SJP. Ever.

Andy_H

I personally don't want to move from SJP. Ever.
Is not only the best answer but, also the only one from any financial point of view.

Even from a 'Carbon footprint' point of view, an inner city site is preferable to any out of town site.

TSW1389

I don't think a move away from SJP will ever be economically viable for us unless we have a massive change in amount of casual fans in the Exeter area. A healthy average of between 4500 and 5000 is a realistic achievable average for us to aim for. The trust membership needs to be pushed harder to increase the amount of members. I don't know the figures but I'd hope all season ticket holders are in the trust but can't see it.
Exeter could not support a 2 "stadium", conference,hotel and leisure parks whatever you want to call them. Chiefs have got that market covered and have plans for in the future to develope sandy park in all areas.
If we HAD to leave SJP the only way that it could be sustainable would more than likely be a ground share with chiefs

WXF

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Don’t think I’m adding anything to the conversation, but building a bigger ground in the hope of filling it, rather than filling your current stadium before considering a new one, is a terrible idea. I hope we never leave SJP, but if Tagg is concerned about the space available at SJP why recently surrender the space behind the big bank?

More interested in knowing more about what he means about a German model. I thought we were already analogous with the (admirable) German industrial model, where workers comprise half the supervisory board members of large companies but, in our case, with half of club board members being representatives of fans, via the Trust.

i8cornwall

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Don’t think I’m adding anything to the conversation, but building a bigger ground in the hope of filling it, rather than filling your current stadium before considering a new one, is a terrible idea. I hope we never leave SJP, but if Tagg is concerned about the space available at SJP why recently surrender the space behind the big bank?

More interested in knowing more about what he means about a German model. I thought we were already analogous with the (admirable) German industrial model, where workers comprise half the supervisory board members of large companies but, in our case, with half of club board members being representatives of fans, via the Trust.
This was my thinking as well (not in a left wing way you have worded in though).

The german model is built on the 50+1 idea which we do.

Is this taggy just stirring things up for his own end? Hopefully he is pressed more on this at the up coming trust forum.