• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Taggs explanation

Temporarily Exiled

Surely it was possible to insert the stipulation that he could leave for free to a team in a higher division?
We had no control, he could leave to any club.

benjisheps

Surely it was possible to insert the stipulation that he could leave for free to a team in a higher division?
Totally agree!! In my opinion this is where the biggest mistake was made.

I don't blame the board for trying to keep JMT and obviously he and his agent said they would only sign a new contract and honor it if City went up. If the club hadn't agreed to it then he would have left for free in the summer anyway but by at least getting him to sign this contract they at least had a chance of keeping him if they got promoted.

Like Manc says the biggest mistake was not saying "if we fail to go up you are able to leave for free to a club in a higher Division".

Those saying that the club should have put a buyout clause in the contract instead are naive as JMT would never have signed that on the advice of his agent.

From what I hear it is the agent who happens to be a former player who is the source of the problem to begin with and its a very good job that a number of our players told him to do one when he was sniffing around previously....

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
From what I hear it is the agent who happens to be a former player who is the source of the problem to begin with and its a very good job that a number of our players told him to do one when he was sniffing around previously....
Arron Davies I take it.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This.

It beggars belief that you’d allow a divisional rival to be strengthened by signing your captain.

At least we now know that nobody else has a similar clause which is pleasing. Imagine losing Stockley for next to nothing.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Totally agree!! In my opinion this is where the biggest mistake was made.

I don't blame the board for trying to keep JMT and obviously he and his agent said they would only sign a new contract and honor it if City went up. If the club hadn't agreed to it then he would have left for free in the summer anyway but by at least getting him to sign this contract they at least had a chance of keeping him if they got promoted.

Like Manc says the biggest mistake was not saying "if we fail to go up you are able to leave for free to a club in a higher Division".

Those saying that the club should have put a buyout clause in the contract instead are naive as JMT would never have signed that on the advice of his agent.
The new contract cost the club money. In extra wages and agent fees. There's always an option of just not giving him that contract. It's a weird clause and Paul tisdale is a principal beneficiary. If he was one of the architects, then it leaves a bitter taste.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
A few years back another home grown favourite chose to decline a new contract and chose to leave the club (to Oxford, I seem to recall), but because he felt the manager at the time was stifling his career and felt he needed a new challenge (AND, AT A HIGHER DIVISION). No complaints with you there, Mr Sercombe...you'll always be welcome back in my eyes.

But, as for this current debacle, a total fustercluck from my viewpoint.

Given that, even last season, some were imagining six (or even seven) figure sums for our former "captain-fantastic" I wonder how much of that "free transfer" bounty has winged its way through, via Mr Winkleman, to the manager, player and (of course) his slimy agent - who, IMHO, was mostly a waste of a shirt and a wage while "playing" at ECFC.

Still, I find eternal cynicism very draining, so I'll still try to do my best to imaging that this was dealt with in an honourable and PROPER manner all round.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
We had no control, he could leave to any club.
In January when he signed this toilet paper then we should have said "Here's your new improved deal, we are happy for you to stay if promoted but should we not bother to turn up for the first 70mins of the playoffs then we are happy for you to progress your career with another team in a higher division"

Should he not want to sign such a contract then fair enough but it avoids this ****e we've ended up with.

logman

Last edited:

logman

Perhaps that was offered but the player declined it. The player rules unfortunately