• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

WXF

Mate we have 3000 fans putting an average of 3 quid in a month. That's just over 100k a season, it wont even pay a strikers wages!
What have the other share holders contributed to the club since the Trust gained its majority share and, if little, why hold the Trust to a higher standard?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
If some of you guys done your research you will see our trust are in the process of buying 50% f the stadium along with power.
Just a little observation. Whilst the Council owns the ground, you are in safe hands, they will never want to be responsible for killing off STFC, it would be political suicide. Never forget that your Chairman made his money from Development. Your Trust involvement gives more credibility to the acquisition but if it were me I would be happier for it to be a minimum of 51-49% split in favour of the Trust. Ask yourself what are Power's long term plans. Take Bolton and Bury, where the grounds got mortgaged up to the hilt to finance promotion plans ending in dire consequences. Will he seek to coerce the Trust to relinquish the shares with the bait of building a new stadium which will need the selling of the County Ground ? Bristol Rovers and Brighton had their stadiums sold off for redevelopment, yet they weren't replaced. Rovers ended with a ground share at Bath City, and Brighton at a council athletics stadium. Both owners departed the scene, and one suspects along with the proceeds.

I am not trying to be scaremongering, just suggesting that you should be ultra cautious. Power may turn out to be a good guy, but your current success has been built on the back of short term loan signings, ok a transfer fee has been paid to bring Doyle back, but why only on a contract to the end of the season ? Why is the Trust being used to put up half the cost of acquiring the Ground ? I wish you the best of luck, but be very cautious.

PeteUSA

Anyway, back to the game! Ward disappointed me a bit with both those goals. I was quite excited when I saw he was back, but that dulled somewhat when those goals went in. The first in particular was sloppy - palming or punching the ball on to an unsuspecting opponents nut. The second, not so much, but if he'd followed that cross and come out for the ball, instead of staying on his line assuming it would be headed clear, things might have been different. He had a good return game in general, but pity about those goals.

STFC since 1879

Just a little observation. Whilst the Council owns the ground, you are in safe hands, they will never want to be responsible for killing off STFC, it would be political suicide. Never forget that your Chairman made his money from Development. Your Trust involvement gives more credibility to the acquisition but if it were me I would be happier for it to be a minimum of 51-49% split in favour of the Trust. Ask yourself what are Power's long term plans. Take Bolton and Bury, where the grounds got mortgaged up to the hilt to finance promotion plans ending in dire consequences. Will he seek to coerce the Trust to relinquish the shares with the bait of building a new stadium which will need the selling of the County Ground ? Bristol Rovers and Brighton had their stadiums sold off for redevelopment, yet they weren't replaced. Rovers ended with a ground share at Bath City, and Brighton at a council athletics stadium. Both owners departed the scene, and one suspects along with the proceeds.

I am not trying to be scaremongering, just suggesting that you should be ultra cautious. Power may turn out to be a good guy, but your current success has been built on the back of short term loan signings, ok a transfer fee has been paid to bring Doyle back, but why only on a contract to the end of the season ? Why is the Trust being used to put up half the cost of acquiring the Ground ? I wish you the best of luck, but be very cautious.
Fair points you make and can't disagree with your comments
Since 2013 we've been on a rollercoaster from getting to the league one play final in 2014/15 season to relegation two years later to this dire league we're in now and that was after he claimed he could get us in the championship within five years. At the start of his tenor Power was hated by the fans as he sold off quite a few players to recoup some of the debt he wrote off and we reached the lowest point when he got his mate Tim Sherwood in as director of football and shafted the manager at the time Luke Williams.
Once we were relegated to league 2 Power realised he had made many mistakes and kept himself in the background and let the likes of David Flitcroft & Phil Brown manage and to be fair seemed to give them both a decent playing budget.
When Wellens was appointed some 14 months ago many were sceptical that he was a cheap option bu ti now we can all see he is a decent young up and coming manager who knows how to get the club motivated etc.
Moving on the STFC trust are in the process of buying the county ground along with Power on a 50/50 split so he won't be able to turn us over. The chairman has also purchased land on the outskirts of Swindon for a new training facilities, new houses and horse/stables so will no doubt make his money on that

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ed, a simple fact of football. If you don't score goals, you don't win games. And as for trying to use the same arguement for Bowman and Lee Martin (presumably as a striker when we're talking about Martin), behave yourself. Bowman will score goals one way or another across a season. Lee Martin offers nothing in any way, shape or form.
Thats very much true, Ian. If you can't get the ball up the pitch or keep hold of it, however, it's harder to create chances.

Bowman and Martin are both excellent at offering an out ball, holding it up and bringing people into play... Or if they can't do that, winning throw ins and free kicks.

I don't fail to see they're neither of them lethal goalscorers... But they offer something. I'm not against more poacher like players... Indeed I'm very enthusiastic about Ajose bedding in. But don't dismiss the contribution of those lads... We've been thereabouts all season and the contribution of the front players has been a big part of that... Even if, at times, a bit of precision is missing.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
So does anyone know what happened towards the end with the stewards and city fans ?
I was the last City fan to leave our end of the Arkells stand (busy texting) and was making my way to the road next to the pub where a group of Swindon fans were mouthing off at the City fans as they headed towards the rail station. I didn't witness any violence and later as my bus home went past the rail station there was a large police presence stretched across the road by the Queens Tap public house.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The chairman has also purchased land on the outskirts of Swindon for a new training facilities, new houses and horse/stables so will no doubt make his money on that
Before he was sacked, Mark Cooper brought on some good young players for Swindon that Power sold on an doubtlessly gave him the dosh to Purchase the "Twelve Oaks Golf Course" just outside Higworth on the Lechlade road. The late owner of the course also had footy pitch installed but some falling out with the team's management saw it only briefly used. The golf course may have been only a nine-holer with some pretty ropey greens but it was my course til Swindon bleeding Town buggered it up. ;)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm glad your crystal ball is working well
No crystal ball, I'm just a realist.

crocks

Before he was sacked, Mark Cooper brought on some good young players for Swindon that Power sold on an doubtlessly gave him the dosh to Purchase the "Twelve Oaks Golf Course" just outside Higworth on the Lechlade road. The late owner of the course also had footy pitch installed but some falling out with the team's management saw it only briefly used. The golf course may have been only a nine-holer with some pretty ropey greens but it was my course til Swindon bleeding Town buggered it up. ;)
I hadn't realised that

grecIAN Harris

Thats very much true, Ian. If you can't get the ball up the pitch or keep hold of it, however, it's harder to create chances.

Bowman and Martin are both excellent at offering an out ball, holding it up and bringing people into play... Or if they can't do that, winning throw ins and free kicks.

I don't fail to see they're neither of them lethal goalscorers... But they offer something. I'm not against more poacher like players... Indeed I'm very enthusiastic about Ajose bedding in. But don't dismiss the contribution of those lads... We've been thereabouts all season and the contribution of the front players has been a big part of that... Even if, at times, a bit of precision is missing.
Ed, we have players who are more than capable of retaining possession in midfield. Bowman is more than capable of holding the ball up. Our biggest issue is putting the ball in the net. The proof is in the goal difference column. We have the worst goal difference in the top seven and by a long way. Why? Because we don't score enough goals. Why? Because our poacher in chief has been out injured and instead of playing a young lad who knows what he is doing up front and only needed a run of games to bed in before we started to see the fruits of his labour, Taylor insisted on playing a midfielder who has about as much idea of playing up front as our poacher in chief has about playing full back, and you wouldn't play Nicky Ajose at full back so why play Lee Martin up front? Over a continual period he offers very, very little. Both City and Swindon lost 3-1 last Tuesday. It barely registered on Swindon but on ours it looks awful.